How to build race game

Started by
6 comments, last by Brian Sandberg 1 week, 2 days ago

Hello everyone! Sorry for going off-topic. I'm interested in creating games to play as mini apps on Telegram. Could you assist me in understanding how to get started? I'd like to know if it's feasible to create a racing game using JavaScript or TypeScript with a decent graphic interface, or if I should use Unity or Unreal Engine instead. I want to design a car and incorporate some effects, but I'm unsure if this is achievable with JavaScript. Can you recommend a roadmap or tutorial for developing a specific race game that can be played on Telegram via my phone? Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

Advertisement

It's perfectly feasible to write a racing game with JS or TS, and certainly a mini-game to be embedded somewhere, using one of the many rendering frameworks, or web-based gaming engines, or using the relevant browser APIs yourself such as WebGL or WebGPU or even the simple Canvas2D.

Here's an old example of a guy making a simple Outrun clone using Canvas2D, complete with source code: https://jakesgordon.com/games/

It doesn't make to give more advice without knowing more about your background. What kind of programming experience do you have?

I was working as web developer so I am familiar with JS, now I work on Python + FLask/Django. I need to create the good graphic interface like in html5 games.

I also know about Cocos Creator to create html5 games on TS. What do you think about it?

@Brian Sandberg I was working as web developer so I am familiar with JS, now I work on Python + FLask/Django. I need to create the good graphic interface like in html5 games. In the link you provided(https://jakesgordon.com/games/)​ I saw the race game before that and I have the source code, but I need to upgrade the graphic and add some effects.

I also know about Cocos Creator to create html5 games on TS. What do you think about it?

If you only care about web distribution and you are good at JS or TS you are likely to be more productive writing a browser-only game with good libraries (take your time to evaluate them) than using complex engines in unfamiliar languages and relying on their web export feature.

What level of graphical sophistication are you comfortable with, and what level do you think you need? It's an important strategic choice (affecting libraries or even programming languages), and everything from blitting low resolution sprites and drawing solid lines to ray tracing in compute shaders can make sense in a web game.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

@LorenzoGatti I want to build the good graphic, as it is the main thing I want to focus on. I want to use cocos creator but do not know about its ability to create good auto design.

What do you mean with “good auto design”?

I don't know Cocos Creator, but had a look at their website, which was a huge turnoff, but that could simply be because its a Chinese company and they have different design sensibilities (which might also explain why some of their UI looks straight-up copied from an old Unity version lol). Then I had a look at a repository with some sample projects, and that was all fairly nice TypeScript, and googling up “games made with cocos” yields some good looking little games. You can almost certainly do what you need in it.

I suggest you just go through some tutorial to make a demo game and get a feel for if it works for you

Advertisement