Global BIOS redesign...

Started by
115 comments, last by reaction 20 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I don't know how many of you are aware, but I have thought of a way of making the timer on an ordinary PC about 100% more reliable. If anyone has any spare time, could they email their local PC manufacturer to let them know of the impending revolution (this will help to avoid unfair commercial advantage). I sent the design to IBM about two weeks ago... they should have done the math by now I think the best way to explain the situation is to email companies a link to this thread [http://gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=178211] If you do email anyone, please post here to avoid multiple posts arriving on the same desks. R [edited by - reaction on October 31, 2003 11:18:13 AM] [edited by - reaction on October 31, 2003 2:54:47 PM]
optionalreaction.net
"I will, even if I try, always be second; and because of that, I know nothing is a lesson." - me
Advertisement
I have emailed

sales@evesham.co.uk

R
optionalreaction.net
"I will, even if I try, always be second; and because of that, I know nothing is a lesson." - me
How old are you?

/MindWipe
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Uhh why the hell does it matter if your clock goes out by an hour if you have two os''s and they both adjust for daylight savings time? Anyone who''s got two os''s installed will probably either be aware of this or work it out once they see their clock''s gone out an hour and then switch off the auto adjust function in one or both the os''s.

I''d hardly call this a major flaw in PC design, more like a minor annoyance.
quote:
How old are you?

Old enough to know that this is deviation (probably older than you).

quote:
I''d hardly call this a major flaw in PC design, more like a minor annoyance.

It means that any application that uses time in anyway is inherantly unstable, and only about 0% accuracy can be guaranteed. That is not a minor annoyance.

R

optionalreaction.net - pushing 70-30
optionalreaction.net
quote:
It means that any application that uses time in anyway is inherantly unstable, and only about 0% accuracy can be guaranteed. That is not a minor annoyance.

Well the time on my PC is always accurate, if I see it isn''t I change it, like most people, and do you think this is going to affect the majority of PC users?
So... what did IBM reply?

/MindWipe
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
quote:
So... what did IBM reply?

Nothing yet... I gave them no address, only my name (I''m a bit worried about quantum reflux actually ).

quote:
Well the time on my PC is always accurate, if I see it isn''t I change it, like most people, and do you think this is going to affect the majority of PC users?

My first C programming instructor told the class to ''never make assumptions'', and if we did, to ''comment them''.

Your statement implies 3 assumptions, which I will document for you...

1. you are the only user
2. you have only one OS installed
3. the time you check against, as correct, is actually correct
4. there are probably more...

I think it will affect all users, if the design is rationally communicated.

R

optionalreaction.net - pushing 70-30
optionalreaction.net
Look into using Network Time Servers. Don''t know about other operating systems, but FreeBSD supplies a list of servers, connected to an Atomic Clock (in some manner)--which can be used to sync your clock.
[ Six Hour Game Contest | ( Thread | Blog | Wiki | 6hour Bio ) ][ Website | (Blog | Gallery ) ]
ummm, ok...i have 4 OS''s and never had a problem with system time or apps that use it.

====================================
Cat: the other white meat

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement