UML CASE tools

Started by
4 comments, last by stubble 20 years, 5 months ago
Hi guys I was wondering what experience any of you have with cheap/free UML Case tools - like Enterprise Architect for example. I need a tool with good UML support, C++ generation and reverse engineering. I''ve tried the 30 day trial for EA Prof and it seems to lack a little in the code generation - for example nested classes are just left out - as are namespaces. It also seems to sometimes #include a header file into itself (not the end of the world) I''ve only played around with it for 10mins or so tho. As far as the code engineering aspect goes - I want something that produces pretty much identical code to the code it originally sniffed in (obviously I''m not worried about formatting etc - just the C++). Any experiences with these types of tools would interest me. Thanks Stubble
Advertisement
Enterprise Architect is by far the best UML modeler on the market for the price. The product is constantly being update; so if you found a problem with the code generation you can post the bug to the forum and it will likely be fixed. Moreover, you can''t even begin to understand the functionality and power of Enterprise Architect in 10 Minutes. You should get a demo copy of Rose, or whatever IBM is calling it this week (probably IBM Modeling Collaboration Server), so you can see the value of Enterprise Architect. As far as your code generation issue, why don''t you just write the code so there is a one to one correlation between the header file and class?

Thanks for that - I''ll drop them a line and see what they say. I realise that there''s no way I''d get a feeling for it in 10mins tho. However within 10mins I had found a few things that disappointed me - which is important. I already use Rose for my 9-5 job so have a good comparison.

Mapping classes to header files isn''t really a solution if you''re sniffing in code already written (one of the selling points of this feature is that you can sniff in work already done and carry on with it - if you loose stuff like namespaces and inner classes then this doesn''t really apply..)
When importing code, EA does properly import inner classes. But it cannot generate them from a model.
If you assign a source file to a class in a model you can use the synchronize buttons in the source code window. EA only applies new members, links etc but lets your code intact.

[Edited by - cmdkeen on May 19, 2008 8:32:50 PM]
Cheers - that''s a good point thanks - when I tested it I generated the code into a new directory - so I could see the differences - but in reality I''d never do that with a real project.

Don''t get me wrong EA seems like a very good tool - and excellent value for money (unlike Rose). I just wanted feedback on it, and any other similar offerings, before I buy one.

I think Poseidon is a free UML editor - the private version:
http://www.gentleware.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement