You're gonna need a bigger FAQ

Started by
26 comments, last by Qw3r7yU10p! 20 years, 2 months ago
Would it be possible to develop a good FAQ? Questions that come up a lot: Template errors: undefined externals, (not wanting to put their code all in header file, cos someone might steal it etc). Pointers to class members (difficult syntax but doesn't need re-explaining when you've got function-pointer.org) struct versus class (confusion coming from C) Is STL slow? (driven by lack of understanding of templates or timing of debug builds) STL is rubbish (I know it's not a question but it's the kind of nonsense that gets posted and leads into pages and pages more) Not making data private (usually driven by sloth and a desire not to type too much) x++ or ++x (post is inefficient isn't it, but not with builtin types, unless that's the behaviour you want, right?) All of these questions are well answered elsewhere on the web and there are pretty much standard responses that can be given such as links to the C++ FAQ Lite or sgi.com/tech/stl or the many articles on gotw.ca, or cuj.com, the boost libraries, etc. Even a RTFM link would be useful. I know having active discussion on the forums is important to the statistics of the site and for advertisers etc. But there is an issue of whether the site is really helping people learn about where to find information. If the faq was really good, maybe people would start linking to it and it would increase traffic. As it stands the value of this forum to people coming with new questions is if there are people around who are able and willing to answer. If the main questions that people are asking are the same old same old then people won't stick around just to keep repeating the same old same old answers. Hopefully we're progressing in our knowledge. A FAQ would be a good record of where we've all been. Then the main topics of discussion would be interesting, expanding our knowledge and stimulating. That would be good for the site. The most important thing really is for people to be given good answers and a FAQ could encourage that. [edited by - petewood on February 4, 2004 10:12:10 AM]
Advertisement
Whos going to write it ?
Who''s going to read it ?
If a plant cannot live according to its nature, it dies; so a man.
quote:Original post by Woodsman
Who''s going to read it ?

If you could bookmark individual questions you could just have a standard response eg:

When should I make my destructors virtual?

try looking in the faq

(c:

Once people got used to using it they''d refer to it a lot. It would just have to gather momentum. ''Just'' being the essential part of that sentence.
Did you know that GameDev has an [FAQ] tag? Type it an it expands into: Forum FAQ

(Click Edit on my post to see what I mean. Of course, you can''t actually edit my post...)
Neat tag there.

Actually I think programmers should strive to become as close to self-sufficient as possible on a lot of these matters. Too often the response around here is, "search Google" or "look in MSDN." They get their question answered, but don't learn to look for things themselves. Also I think some people forget that their IDEs allow them to "go to definition," e.g. if you want to know how MFC does something the fastest way is probably to look up the class in MSDN, look up the name of the method, and then "go to definition," until you hit the actual code that does it.

IMO, worse are the recurring monthly arguments over:
* C++ vs. C#
* naming conventions
* STL/Boost/etc "sucks"
* singletons are great/are horrible

Not to mention the weekly "I want my program to be the very fastest and I've never heard of a profiler before. So, I'm trying to decide whether to use i++ or ++i"-type threads.

Whenever SabreMan had a thread I was sure to check it out, because it isn't really a "how do I initialize OpenGL," but closer to what a discussion board should be in my mind.

That, and the mods must be willing to move threads from General to Beginner's. There is no reason to have a question like "how do I make a header file," in a General Programming forum when the Beginner's Forum exists for questions such as those. In addition, those recurring arguments should be locked with a link to an older thread or (better yet) the FAQ link. Although locking is harsh, it does force people to actually research a little before getting on and asking the same question again and again.

I'll be blunt and say what petewood is merely alluding to: General Programming is being watered down by repeated, newbie questions. Thankfully people like Mayrel seem to post interesting things from time to time (still have to get around to that GC in C++ thread). I'm not trying to be elitist, but thats how I see it.

[edited by - antareus on February 4, 2004 1:31:28 PM]
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
First: Applause to antareus and Oluseyi. Good stuff there.

[My two cents]

Second: RE:Who''s going to write it?
It''s already written. It just needs to be compiled. Every question mentioned so far could be answered with links to existing sites, articles, and/or past posts. Also, it can also grow over time. It doesn''t have to be completed on day one.

Third: Building on antareus''s post - there should be a "Learn how to learn" section. This section would tell people how to navigate their IDE, use their help/MSDN, and how to search other existing resources.

Last: Is it possible to restrict posting in a particular thread to moderators only? If so, a sticky post in the beginner forum would make a quick, strait-forward FAQ.

[/My two cents]

-------------
VenDrake

To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.
-------------VenDrakeTo understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.
I''ll point the other moderators to this. Some very good suggestions here.
Yes, I like the "Learn how to" part, it should at least have sections on how to track memory leaks in MSVC (mentioning the built-in CRT functions as well as Fluid Studios memory manager) and how to use the debugger. I know of many people that don''t even touch the debugger. It is one of the MAJOR advantages of MSVC and it just plain rocks.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
I think that these are good ideas but maybe there should be a screen that shows up first when you're starting a thread and your post count is under 20 or so that explains this. I think just replying to someone new is a good idea but it doesnt really solve the problem. If you have a forced message for the first few threads made by someone in the programming forums perhaps that would curb the problem more properly? I'm very interested in this endeavor.

Oh, shouldn't this be in the GDNet Suggestions, Comments and Ideas forums?

[edited by - woodsman on February 4, 2004 4:58:22 PM]
If a plant cannot live according to its nature, it dies; so a man.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement