Programmers: Did you Build Your Computer?

Started by
81 comments, last by lethalhamster 18 years, 10 months ago
I've just bought mine, I'm too lazy really. I've replaced parts, upgraded components and so on though over the years on various PC's of mine.

I really haven't seen that it's cheaper to build your own. Both of my MESH's have been pretty damn cheap, and you get to choose your specs, and come with a 3 year warrenty. Opening the case doesn't destroy the warrenty either. Can't really complain with that.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by mattnewport
Quote:Original post by Ainokea
It's cheaper to build your own (if you already have a monitor) and you get all the parts you want. I don't see why anyone wouldn't.

It's tough to beat the price of a pre-configured system from someone like Dell if you build your own. The only reason I build my own now is so I can get exactly the parts I want, not to save money. In fact I'm not even sure I'll bother doing that for my next PC - companies like NCIX will let you select all the components you want and then for an extra $50 CAD or so will assemble it for you, install the operating system and check it all works. Given the time I would spend doing it myself that's probably worth paying.

I forgot that I got quite a few things from friends (graphics card, keyboard, mouse, and power supply). Slight oversight when I said that it was cheaper to build your own. I was thinking of myself.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Quote:Original post by OrangyTang
Quote:Original post by Max_Payne
In my (perhaps biased) opinion, a true programmer should build his own computer, Just like the jedi build their own lightsabers [wink]

Surely the equivilent would be building your own compiler?

I am not entirelly sure, I mean after all building a lightsaver does not involve fighting which is what the Jedi would use it for, instead (I imagine) it requires technical and mechanical knowledge from a whole different field than martial arts.

There are blacksmiths and there are swordsmen, Jedi would be a sort of swordsman who forges his own sword, which would require smithing.
Quote:Original post by OrangyTang
In my (perhaps biased) opinion, a true programmer should build his own computer, Just like the jedi build their own lightsabers [wink]

Surely the equivilent would be building your own compiler?

Thats a good experience as well. Personally, I coded my own VM and assembly compiler. Didn't yet get the patience to program a full-fledged OOP language compiler.

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
My past couple of machines have been custom built - I select the parts and pay near-trade prices, and for £40 they check that the spec is all compatible with itself, built it, test it, burn it in, and then ship it with all the manuals and original software on CD. £40 is a pretty good deal for avoiding that headache.

I'm considering building my next machine, but I don't plan to get one for a while... or at least, not all at once. Gonna see if I can part-upgrade this one until it's completely gone, starting with more memory and a GF6 [smile]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Just an informal poll for all the programmers around here. Did you build your own computer, did you purchase it (or did you receive it as a gift)? I get the impression that most people don't build them anymore. I hope it won't ever turn into a lost art.

Personally, I started building my own computers about 7 years ago. I never went back. I don't experiment much technical problems, and if I do, I enjoy the freedom of not having some asshats telling me what to do with my computer, making me wait on the phone and charging me for tech-support. I had to install a cheap HP-Compaq with Windows XP Home for a customer recently, and I was disgusted at that OS, at all the bloatware they force in those systems, and many other annoyances.

Of course, there are plenty of small stores around here, mostly run by arabs (Not that I have anything against them, most small computer stores here *are* run by them, I would estimate 80% are). They sell cheape non-branded computers, but most of the time, they use overly cheap hardware, and they don't really know what they're talking about (no serious formation, they are purely in the business for the money)... Example of a conversation I had in one of these stores 4 months ago:

Me: "Would you have a Radeon 9600 or Radeon 9600XT in stock?"
Salesman: "No, but we have Radeons 9550s"
Me: "Well, thanks anyways, thats not really what I'm looking for"
Salesman: "What do you mean, its the same thing really!"
Me: "No, its not, the 9550 has only half the memory bus width of the 9600"
Salesman: *puzzled look*

here! here! I have never bought computers brand new (except laptops and second hand) and assemble them all to my specs (small hard drives, minimal graphics card, lightning processor). Its cheaper as I can literally strip down on all the things I don't need.

And plus, I would never buy a computer with xp pre-installed - I would feel like I was being charged for something I never use... being ripped off (no offense to xp users but I just am not as efficient and its not my natural environment - difference of opinion).
My (biased and hypocritical) opinion is that building your own computer definitely is good for programming (at least it was), or at least for a fuller understanding of what you're programming.

Hyprocritically (as I said), my computer's a Dell. A really decked-out Dell (should've got an Alienware, I know [smile]), but a Dell nontheless. I'm planning to build my next computer.

Cheers!
- fyhuang [ site ]
Yes, I've built computers, just never for myself. I was planning to build my computer but then I found a computer from eMachines that I couldn't resist for about $50 cheaper. It sure had more in it than I had made for my custom computer. The only thing I had to do was get a moniter for it.
--------------------------------A man of few words does not mean he does not have big ideas
I may buy a new computer pretty soon, and I don't think I'll be building it myself. Here's why:

* From what I have seen, it isn't any cheaper than buying it from a big retailer. In fact, I have noticed that buying the parts was more expensive in the end.
* I am not going to waste many many hours of time researching which parts are compatable with which others, and which parts are slightly better or slightly longer lasting than others. It's a pain, I have no familiarity with it, and I'd rather be doing something else.
* Once I do research all of the parts I need, I will need to order them all seperately (extra shipping costs), and then assemble them. There is a good chance that it won't even work at this point, and I will then have to work with it for many more hours diagnosing the problem. I will even possibly have to order more parts, costing more time. There is also a good chance that the parts that I have that turn out to be faulty or incompatable I will not be able to return for a full refund.

So, I'd rather buy a factory made PC and configure it the way I want. People complain about "too much crap" on factory made PCs, and yet they claim to know anything about computers. If people that complain about "too much crap" are really as smart as they claim they are, then they should know how to delete, turn off, and configure the default factory setting and applications to their liking. Configuring a ready-made system is much less painful than assembling the hardware.
"I want to make a simple MMORPG first" - Fenryl
Quote:If people that complain about "too much crap" are really as smart as they claim they are, then they should know how to delete, turn off, and configure the default factory setting and applications to their liking. Configuring a ready-made system is much less painful than assembling the hardware.

Example 1 - I got a Windows XP CD with the Dell stuff pre-installed. AFAICT there is no uninstall entry for them (at least that I can remember - I've been using a clean Linux for a while now). I'm not going to waste my time digging into the C:\Windows directory just as you're not going to waste time researching.

Example 2 - my Dell computer comes with a crappy BIOS. It makes it almost impossible to dual-boot effectively. If I want to change that, I need a new motherboard. Then I need to do the research for compatibility anyways.

Example 3 - most retailers ship OEM components. From my experience OEM components don't perform as well/are buggier than their retail counterparts. You can't tell Dell, for example, to give you a retail Audigy 2 rather than an OEM Audigy 2 (which is what I have, which can't load large SoundFonts).

It is true, however, that although previously building your own was cheaper nowadays the mass volume discounts retailers get can beat your personal stuffs. OEMs are also cheaper than retail components but like I said, might not work as well.

Quote:Configuring a ready-made system is much less painful than assembling the hardware.

Actually, I've screwed in hard drives and plugged in cards and stuff, the only thing I would predict could be painful is the processor. Everything else is just a bunch of research and being careful not to break anything (with ESD or physical abuse).

Also, building your own allows you to know exactly what you have in your computer. Like, I didn't know that Dell computers included a rescue partition until I tried to install Linux. I'd also rather not have to read my entire computer manual to figure out that information. I have better things to spend my time on. It is definitely advantageous, IMHO to know what you have in your computer, it can come in handy later on when you're doing upgrades or just for general troubleshooting stuff.

Just my .02. Cheers!
- fyhuang [ site ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement