What strong 3D maths really means ?

Started by
4 comments, last by jolyqr 18 years, 1 month ago
More than strong programming skills, it seems like all Video Game Companies are looking for programmers with strong 3D maths skills. What does strong 3D maths really means? Does it means knowing all formulas (algebra, Cartesian coordinates, vectors, transformations, interpolation, curve and patches, analytic geometry, barycentric coordinates, etc.) by the heart ? Because there are a lot of formulas… I have some skills in 3D maths, but when could say I have strong 3D maths skills ?
Advertisement
If you think of it from the employers point of view it may help you.

How often whilst dealing with 3d math do you have to refer to a textbook? I personally have to go back to the textbook everytime for some subjects, but not for others.

The test really is whether you could have an educated discussion about a given topic, which is more than likely one way in which you might be tested in an interview situation.

Although I can't remember every formula, I could probably explain logically what I am thinking in terms of 3d math, which is likely what an employer is looking for. You can check up on a formula in a couple of minutes but if you have to revise an entire topic it might take an entire (wasted, from the employers point of view) day.

Mark
I wouldn't say you have to memorize all the formulas. Particularly, all those formulas came from somewhere - usually linear algebra and vector analysis - that if you learn you can rederive all the formulae.

So being skilled in vector math and basic linear algebra will cover most of what you need - and a lot more concepts than memorization. I think the only straight formulae to memorize are the dot, cross, and matrix products.

The important thing is to understand how this math is derived, where it comes from, and why it works.
I would say the most important 3D math skills or physics skills (or whatever skills) to have would be to understand the concepts and the ideas behind the equations and problems. In other words, it's better to know how to approach a problem rather than memorizing how to solve it. That make sense at all?
Like the others have said. Basically you need to be able to discuss mathematical topics intelligently and you should be able to tackle straight-forward problems in Algebra, Vectors, Linear Algebra, and basic Calculus with little or no boning up.

There are VERY few people on this earth that routinely handle complicated problems without reference material. They're looking for your ability to work through a problem intelligently, not your ability to pull answers out of thin air.

Knowing how to research and work through a difficult problem is equally, if not more, important than all the stuff you can do off the top of your head. That can mean anything from looking up the correct anti-derivation formula from the back of your text to self-studying a few relevant chapters on quaternions or some other math you've never touched before.

Personally, I would consider myself to be fairly strong in math, say the level of an entry-level math whiz or a high-functioning intermediate. I have a solid grasp on Algebra, Linear Algebra(Vectors/Matrices), Calculus, geometry and the entire 3D graphics pipeline, as well as a comfortable level of knowlege with quaternions -- basically enough to have sat down and studied them, then wrap them up in a nice C++ class.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I see...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement