If you had to do server collision check on the server, what is the most efficient way

Started by
3 comments, last by dawidjoubert 16 years, 11 months ago
If you were making a mmorpg and had to do server collision check on the server, what do you think would be the most efficient way? Ray casting? AABB, OBB? or none of the above.
Advertisement
Efficient? AABB, but expect to give up accuracy for it. However, if you are checking for collisions en masse then you can save your more accurate but less efficient checks for after an AABB collision is determined.
We''re sorry, but you don''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)
Quote:Original post by luzarius
If you were making a mmorpg and had to do server collision check on the server, what do you think would be the most efficient way?

Ray casting? AABB, OBB?

or none of the above.

Just a quick note, I work in the web industry and I guarantee you a MMORPG will not be run on just one server.

Most likely there will be a cluster of databases for the game logic with a cluster of web servers for the 'serving of pages' logic.

Building a MMORPG is not very different from building a website like facebook/myspace. It just has sooo many more rules and requries a client binary so that the user sees nice mountains and blood etc...

But yes if you use good sub-division of space you will rarely do AABB colision checks, and then if you do do further checks it will be even more rare.

I recommend you do this though.

Use AABB checks for your main logic and then layer further detection on top of that and stick it into the client binary, so collision detection with a higher resolution than AABB becomes purely an aethestetical thing.

----------------------------

http://djoubert.co.uk
Quote:Original post by dawidjoubert
Quote:Original post by luzarius
If you were making a mmorpg and had to do server collision check on the server, what do you think would be the most efficient way?

Ray casting? AABB, OBB?

or none of the above.

Just a quick note, I work in the web industry and I guarantee you a MMORPG will not be run on just one server.

Most likely there will be a cluster of databases for the game logic with a cluster of web servers for the 'serving of pages' logic.

Building a MMORPG is not very different from building a website like facebook/myspace. It just has sooo many more rules and requries a client binary so that the user sees nice mountains and blood etc...

But yes if you use good sub-division of space you will rarely do AABB colision checks, and then if you do do further checks it will be even more rare.

I recommend you do this though.

Use AABB checks for your main logic and then layer further detection on top of that and stick it into the client binary, so collision detection with a higher resolution than AABB becomes purely an aethestetical thing.

Oh i see. Have a certain level of client side collision detection that triggers a server side collision check? The client side collision is taking some load off the server? Only requesting a collision check when absolutely needed?

Exactly
----------------------------

http://djoubert.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement