Simple scene but framerate is 50-60fps. Why?

Started by
5 comments, last by EBZ 4 years ago

I've noticed that my framerates in my game builds and within the editor are between 50-60 fps. My scenes only have a plane with a basic material and the test ybot model provided by Mixamo which is very low poly. Also, I have only one script and it's far from complicated.

How do people get such smooth and high framerates in game and in the editor? I have a nice computer too: i7, GTX 1050 Ti, 16gigs of ram...and made sure very few background services are running. Everything is up to date (GPU, OS)

Are there settings I need to change for this? I can't figure out how people keep it at 60 or better yet go over 60 :(

Thanks!

Advertisement

Did you already hear of vertical sync or VSync?

It is a setting that limits the framerate to the refresh rate of the monitor, usually your setting in Hz (55 Hz => anything between 50 and 55 fps, 60 Hz => 60 fps). You can turn it on or off by default in the graphics driver.

EDIT:

I know in Nvidia driver, this is usually turned on by default

You might want to try the “Fast” VSync setting in the NVidia drivers.

Is this the laptop version of the GTX 1050 Ti? https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-Notebook.168400.0.html

Possibly an Optimus system?

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Shaarigan said:

Did you already hear of vertical sync or VSync?

It is a setting that limits the framerate to the refresh rate of the monitor, usually your setting in Hz (55 Hz => anything between 50 and 55 fps, 60 Hz => 60 fps). You can turn it on or off by default in the graphics driver.

EDIT:

I know in Nvidia driver, this is usually turned on by default

I just wanted to say thank you for all the great feedback you provide. My respects and gratitude, you are a great role model. There is much to learn from you, if one is willing to listen.

Sorry for the late response everybody, I need to turn on notifications on this forum. Thank you all for the great replies. Granted, I'll try all your suggestions a try.

EBZ said:
I can't figure out how people keep it at 60 or better yet go over 60 :(

In general this is something you want to avoid. If your monitor only updates 60 frames per second, it is wasteful to update more frequently because the extra frame is never displayed.

Monitors have their own refresh rate, commonly 60 Hz, but also 72 Hz, 75 Hz, 90 Hz, and 120 Hz are commonplace in gaming computers. Some highly competitive gamers get expensive equipment that can run at 240 Hz, just to get a few milliseconds of advantage.

Update as fast as the hardware using vsync to guide you, but don't worry about going faster. When taking measurements, measure how long it takes to do the work, not how long it takes to do a buffer swap.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement