Looking for like minds... Starting is hard!

Started by
8 comments, last by ThomasJoseph 3 years, 8 months ago

Hey all! New here, and really glad I found this place!

Have been a passionate gamer all of my life (we're talking… Atari 2600 when it was new). but only recently (the past 10 years or so) have I realized I have a passion to also MAKE games… to contribute in some manner to creating an interactive experience for others to enjoy!

I do have some professional skills in project management and live services outside of the games industry, and I also have dabbling bits of experience in things from coding, to 3D art, to sound.

I started to formulate on a game that I could start making, and of course it quickly grew out of scope. I keep reeling it back but, I feel like what I would like to do is have some other folks to actually talk to about these ideas.

Not nnecessaily to assess the feasibility of them… but just from a perspective of interest and fun. Some folks who might listen, and who might even be inclined to be involved!

Am I in the right place? the right forum? Can you guys recommend anywhere to find a group of folks who would be interested in listening and taking about my ideas and solidifying a direction to get them moving?

None

Advertisement

machine-man said:
I do have some professional skills in project management and live services outside of the games industry, and I also have dabbling bits of experience in things from coding, to 3D art, to sound.

That's the resume of someone who could be a game producer, but not knowing the game industry and how it works is a problem. Where do you live (what city)?

machine-man said:
Am I in the right place? the right forum? Can you guys recommend anywhere to find a group of folks who would be interested in listening and taking about my ideas and solidifying a direction to get them moving?

Your post was moved from For Beginners to the Hobby Projects Classifieds board. HPC is where you can try to build a team (just like everybody else). Maybe your professional background will help.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper Thanks Tom.

I do come from the software services industry, and before that 10 years as a digital producer at an interactive agency, so although no game industry experience directly, I feel like I get the cadence of project planning, production, etc.

I'm really just trying to find like minded people right now who would be interested in letting me bounce ideas off of them, and take in their opinions. This is a game I want to build myself, at least the first version… not looking for a job in the industry. I feel at my age, I am either going to make it on my own or not at all ?

All of my friends who play games are really just that, and glaze over once I start talking about ideas (even if they would be games that they would enjoy) and my peers at work are… not into games in the same way.

Hoping to find folks in this or other communities to have these kinds of chats with!

None

Good luck.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Maybe this is something you could be interested in

Producer/ Project manager (m/w/d)

I have a kind of similar background and a passion project of my own. I might be able to give some advice on how to get started and always interested in talking about ideas..

Hi!
I have a similar passion about making games. I started at playing games but i got bored of it as time passed. We can talk about ideas and stuff, I've been making concept ideas and stuff for myself for years now, so maybe this is the time to make it into a carrier even.. or just a lovely hobby. If you are interested, here's my discord: Domonyi#0121

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement