1:1 scale of Australia

Started by
14 comments, last by JoeJ 2 years, 11 months ago

Does anyone know how to make an accurate 1:1 scale map of Australia, or a free one that I can download.

Dm me on discord or reply to this forum if you know.
Discord: Gleb#0069

Advertisement

Some sources for textures:

https://visibleearth.nasa.gov/collection/1484/blue-marble

https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/​

Not sure what's the max resolution to find here, or what's license.
Likely you also want to limit stretching by mapping to the sphere, then resample with Australia being the center.

fleabay said:
@JoeJ, you fell for the 1:1 map of Australia? LOL

It was not specified what 1:1 means about resolution, if that's what you're pointing at.

To make it 1:1, projection stretch has to be fixed. To make it high resolution, seek for better sources or work on procedural upscaling.

fleabay said:
You can't be serious.

With what? What do we talk about?

Well it's only 40x the size of 1996 Daggerfall game , it's another question fidelity resulted in average 40x smaller maps in 2021 than 1996's DF.

fleabay said:
A 1:1 map is a map that has a scale of 1 to 1 ( surprise ).

Very likely.

But there is also aspect ratio which is always locally wrong with a planar map of a landscape on the sphere.
So if he would mean aspect ratio of 1:1 (which admitted i doubt), then error on Australia is big because it is far from equator. Thus i reminded to reproject because using Australia from a global map as given from my sources has big stretching error.

This is independent from resolution, and we can assume he wants it simply as high as possible.

x321y said:
Well it's only 40x the size of 1996 Daggerfall game , it's another question fidelity resulted in average 40x smaller maps in 2021 than 1996's DF.

AC Oddyssey has 200x200 km IIRC. If i'm right Australia is somewhat 10 times larger than that, so Oddyssey likely is larger than DF.

Though, not sure what's the win here. The larger the map, the more likely i'm bored from missing variation or other compromises.

While making a physical 1:1 map is obviously absurd, creating a 1:1 map of Australia in a computer game is obviously possible. Our maps are 1:1 by default, to the extend that it makes sense to talk about the “scale” of a virtual construct that does not actually exist in the physical universe. Australia is bigger than most game environments, but it's nowhere near as big as (for example) Minecraft or No Man's Sky.

We're all talking about computer game development, right? That's why we're on gamedev.net and not cartographersguild.com, right?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement