Windows (3.1/9X/ME/2K/XP) Daylight Savings behaviour

Started by
17 comments, last by reaction 20 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I need some confirmation on the behaviour of windows during a Daylight Savings crossover. If the time is changed under Windows (XP - for sure) it alters the system (BIOS) clock. However, I don''t know what windows does at the Spring and Autumn DS Crossover. It''s not logical for Windows to change the system clock, as other OS''es will not know the clock has been adjusted, and may repeat the operation. So, does windows jog the time to allow for DS internally? and what time does the MSVC 6.0 {ULONG time(NULL);} funtion return, system BIOS time, or windows time? From the MSDN docs... "The time function returns the number of seconds elapsed since midnight (00:00:00), January 1, 1970, coordinated universal time, according to the system clock." ... does this mean the number returned by {time(NULL;} is not affected by DS? Thanks, R ToDoList | Wayout | ManillaPush | SendToSync
optionalreaction.net
"I will, even if I try, always be second; and because of that, I know nothing is a lesson." - me
Advertisement
possibly it rather sets an "in-summer-time" flag in the bios.. dunno.. wich other os'' look at and say oh, its yet set..

i have no clue, but that would at least be a solution:D

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Windows sets the bios clock. I''ve experienced this on my XP/RedHat box. It probably (and likely) also sets a registry key to ''remember'' that the change occurred.

Niko Suni

Thanks daveperman,

There is a flag set in the 'tstruct' structure of {_ftime(tstruct);}. I'm thinking of using this, but if the BIOS is already changed, then the variable is irrelevant.

Thanks Nik02,

Thanks for the confirmaion, surely that philosophy is a bit dangerous (and unsociable!), esp. if there are more than two users who don't know wether the other has adjusted the clock, and it get's adjusted twice!

I need some more (official) confirmation though... I'll try to look around the internet.

R

ToDoList | Wayout | ManillaPush | SendToSync

[edited by - reaction on September 1, 2003 3:17:09 PM]
optionalreaction.net
"I will, even if I try, always be second; and because of that, I know nothing is a lesson." - me
I believe that the ''changed'' flag is per-windows, and not per-user. Of course this only works if both users use the same OS (windows) in the first place!

Niko Suni

I have contacted IBM regarding this problem.

What is reuired are two clocks, wth the second offset from the first; and the first constant.

R

payphone - got to go
optionalreaction.net
quote:Original post by reaction
It''s not logical for Windows to change the system clock, as other OS''es will not know the clock has been adjusted, and may repeat the operation.

A bit naive, are we?

--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
who are you???

R
optionalreaction.net
quote:So, does windows jog the time to allow for DS internally?

It is supposed to.

quote:and what time does the MSVC 6.0 {ULONG time(NULL);} funtion return, system BIOS time, or windows time?

Why not try it and find out?
char a[99999],*p=a;int main(int c,char**V){char*v=c>0?1[V]:(char*)V;if(c>=0)for(;*v&&93!=*v;){62==*v&&++p||60==*v&&--p||43==*v&&++*p||45==*v&&--*p||44==*v&&(*p=getchar())||46==*v&&putchar(*p)||91==*v&&(*p&&main(0,(char**)(--v+2))||(v=(char*)main(-1,(char**)++v)-1));++v;}else for(c=1;c;c+=(91==*v)-(93==*v),++v);return(int)v;}  /*** drpizza@battleaxe.net ***/
Windows changes the BIOS clock. I had Windows 98 and Windows XP dual-booted, and last April I found my computer''s clock an hour behind (or an hour ahead?) But both of the OSs changed the clock.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement