🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Cataloging computer/GPU performance

Started by
6 comments, last by xycsoscyx 17 years ago
Hi I have made a little test program that shows graphics from my game, and then tests how fast your computer renders it. The final result it automatically sent to my server so you don't have to do anything else but start the program. Information abut your graphics card will also be sent to my server. Why do I need this? Because I need to see how different graphics cards perform in my game. When I have enough data, I can write a system in my game that automatically adjusts the graphics setting, so that the game runs optimal on all graphics cards. Also I want to see how well ATI card handles my (I have only NVIDIA cards). To run the test program you will need .NET 2.0 witch can be downloaded here And you will need XNA framework witch can be downloaded here , and you will need the latest version of DirectX 9.0c The test program can be downloaded here and all submits are anonymous The test has 4 small tests. The graphics becomes more intens, and in the last test the graphics are very detailed Thanks to all who participate :) [Edited by - steffanp on June 28, 2007 12:19:07 PM]
Advertisement
I just tested your app.Nice terrain worked fast on the first run 126 fps
Others were below 30.

What is the difference between the tests?Poly count only or does the texture grow too?
Test 1 runs with 800x600 res. no anti alias, low texture detail, a low shader and no bloom.
Test 2 runs with 1024x768 res. no anti alias, medium texture detail, a detailed shader and no bloom.
Test 3 runs with 1024x768 res. 2x anti alias, high texture detail, a detailed shader and bloom.
Test 3 runs with 1280x1024 res. 4x anti alias, high texture detail, a detailed shader and bloom.

The poly count is the same

Your test results was low because (i think) there is a problem with my shader and ATI cards. (Do you have an ATI card?). I can see the that old NVIDIA cards gets very good scores, but almost all ATI cards get bad scores. This is interesting, and i am trying to located the problem
Your application crashes after the 3rd test...

I tested it with an ati x550 which very outdated I guess.
Well I'm at work I can give it another try at home but I have a geforce 7600gt at home :]

Sorry ToolMaker, it is my fault. I have now changed to program, so that if a test goes wrong, it is skipped
Quote: Original post by steffanp
Test 1 runs with 800x600 res. no anti alias, low texture detail, a low shader and no bloom.
Test 2 runs with 1024x768 res. no anti alias, medium texture detail, a detailed shader and no bloom.
Test 3 runs with 1024x768 res. 2x anti alias, high texture detail, a detailed shader and bloom.
Test 3 runs with 1280x1024 res. 4x anti alias, high texture detail, a detailed shader and bloom.[...]
It might intentionally be part of your test, but just in case it's not: You should be aware that 1280x1024, while a common resolution, is fundamentally different than the other ones your test because it has a different aspect ratio.
800x600 is 4:3, 1024x768 is 4:3, but 1280x1024 is 5:4. The proper 4:3 resolution would be 1280x960. The more common 4:3 resolution used in place of 1280x1024 is 1152x864.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Hmm, it crashes right from the get-go on my machine. I have a Radeon x600, running on a 3.2GHz dual core CPU.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement