🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Grid based map editor in openGL

Started by
1 comment, last by guvidu 16 years, 1 month ago
Hi there Can you guys point me in some direction. I wanna do a map editor sort of like warcraft 3 map editor - or starcraft - only in 3D. So i need to know whats the best way to do this becouse i need to do cooling on it two. So becouse its grid based - i think i have to have a bunch of objects with the size of the square and those objects somehow have to fit together. Thanks
Advertisement
That's an awful lot of understanding you're looking for in one post. Your first step should probably be to learn about OpenGL and/or Direct3D and how to render 3d objects to the screen. You'll also want to look into some GUI toolkits to see which one of those suits you. An editor needs a good GUI.

Beyond that, if you're looking for good answers, your questions will need to be more specific, and you'll probably need to provide some more information, such as what language and operating system you're working with.

Good luck. :)
Well - i would put the question if i would know how to work with 3d objects.:P - Im using OpenGL - i have my own imprelentation of GUI which i like to belive is preaty good. I will release it in a library in the next days actualy. Im using windows. As for the grid base map editor. im still thinking of it. I dont know if its the best way. Just ask so i could document on it. Thanks :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement