What 3D software is the best?

Started by
6 comments, last by Wild9eR 24 years, 8 months ago
Well there is no *Best* 3d modeler. It all comes down to the interface. Personaly I've used Max 2.5, Lightwave5.5 , and Truespace2.0...they are all great programs and can do just about the same type of production work. Now if you plan to get a job as a modeler you need to find out what the most popular modelers are. But that will vary on the job you go into. Most TV and movie stuff is done with either Softimage, Maya or 3d Studio Max. If your looking to make models for games 3d Studio is pretty much a standard. Softimage and Lightwave are also used though. If I were you I'd contact the companies and see if you can get a demo of their product & see what one you feel more comfortable with before buying one. From my own experiance Max 2.5 is confusing as all hell but the new Max 3.0 looks & feels alot more like Truespace. Lightwave is also alot like Truespace. You'll probably feel the most comfortable with either Max 3 or Lightwave. Good Luck
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Advertisement
actually lightwave is used in the movie/tv industry far more than softimage, maya, or 3ds max...
for game stuff, 3ds max is the king. the next release of lightwave will be targeting the game development market, and it's looking good. mirai is really nice, as is maya and softimage. i've never used softimage, but i've heard it's a bit weak in the modeling area.
Is any of the value 3D software any good (Bryce, Poser, HASH, etc.)?

------------------
Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
http://www.dynamicadventures.com

Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
I use RayDream and it's great value for money, i find the cross-section editor very good to get almost any shape I like but i haven't tried much animation as yet. Not being able to afford Max and not wanting to use pirate software I find RayDream very useful :-)
About the best "Value" 3d software I've seen is Animation Master '99. It's running about $199. But I haven't seen any demos of it.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Hello All,

I am trying to figure out what software I need to teach myself. I have been working with truespace 2 - 4.1 and am now ready to learn a more popular software but I am having a hard time picking the one that will be the most usefull. Below is a list of the ones I am thinking about, please give a response and lemme know what one(s) you would recomend.

1. 3D Studio MAX 2.5 or 3
2. SoftImage 3D
3. Lightwave 5.6
4. Rhino 1.0

Anyone who reads this please give a quik response.

Job description : Duct Tape
Animation Master is indeed a VERY good package for its price. It's simply, in my opinion at least, one of the best organic modeling programs you can get. Actually, I many times prefer it to more "powerful" and COSTLY programs such as Maya. A very good program indeed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement