Context Steering

Started by
8 comments, last by DCAMOD 4 years, 8 months ago

Hello there, I am looking for code examples or a tutorial of context based steering behaviors. The "Game AI Pro" series gives an overview but no code implementation. It would be nice to see an example to help me along with my understanding of it. Any little bit of help is appreciated. Language does not matter to me just the code. Thanks in advance everyone!

Advertisement

This used to be the go-to site for that. See if the java code is still there.

https://www.red3d.com/cwr/steer/

Looks like the Java stuff is gone (as are his great demo vids), but this should help.

http://opensteer.sourceforge.net/

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Thanks for the reply. I believe you may have misunderstood me. I am not looking for the basic steering behavior. This is what I have been looking for a code implementation of.

https://www.gamedev.net/articles/programming/artificial-intelligence/smarter-steering-using-context-for-direction-r3149/

It seems I can only find articles and books. There do not appear to be any code implementations available not any tutorials that I can find.

Did you watch this? That's what Apoch refers to in his article.

https://gdcvault.com/play/1018262/The-Next-Vector-Improvements-in

There's probably not code in it (I don't remember despite running that Summit for 10 years) but it might help wrap your head around how to write your own code.

Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

I have not yet but I will now. Thank you ?. Any bit of help is appreciated. I'll check back and let you know if there was any code or mention of a place to access it.

I have watched the video and taken notes. The video did not provide any code examples apart from basic steering behavior code which can be found easily pretty much anywhere. There were some useful bits of information but I already have seen most of it on Andrew Fray's blog and the Game AI Pro book. So I am just posting this to update everyone who might read this or is watching this that there still is not a coded example of context steering that I have found yet.

I believe that you may be looking for something that is considered so simple that no one has bothered to write code for sharing. Really everything that he is talking about is conceptual variations onto existing technology. While it is certainly a novel idea, it really wouldn't be hard to implement.

What is your level of experience?

Blogs I write:

I have three years of experience teaching myself as a hobby. Most of that time has been spent on variations of movement AI. So not much experience at all. Sure, I could probably just jump right in and design it based on what I have read, but I find it safer to just look at an example to be certain I am doing it right. I have seen hundreds of variations on the hello world tutorial and many other much more basic concepts. I do not see why this should be left out just because it seems simple to someone with experience. Maybe you could provide an example and spare me the misery of continuing this search.

Okay, been a while and I still can't get this right. Any takers on giving a short tutorial on this? I really need help with this please.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement