Feedback please : FPS Project

Started by
8 comments, last by L. Spiro 4 years, 10 months ago

Hello,

i am trying to create a tactical fps like pubg, rainbow six siege.
In this video you'll see the FPS Controller including

- (leaning) ADS
- Reloading (WIP)
- Recoil (WIP)
- FPS Locomotion System

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGWpjmjsB58

critique is welcome ?

Advertisement

Well, not sure what you want to discuss. Looks like you are on the right way, even though there is still a lot to do:

- Player shadow needs to be more than just a gun shadow ?

- Muzzle flashes are missing

- The reloading animation looks weird. The hand jumps at the end from one position to another and the clip isn't exchanged

- Your leaning animation doesn't look like the player is leaning to one side. It just looks like he is shifting the guns angle.

- Couldn't see if there are bullet impact effects, apart from the animated dummy. What about bullet holes?

Greeting

47 minutes ago, DerTroll said:

Well, not sure what you want to discuss.

47 minutes ago, DerTroll said:

Thanks for the new points for my toDo list, do you like the recoil or is it to boring? Do you have any other suggestion what should look good in todays fps?

WTF ...the Video got recently more than 2000 Views, thanks Guys.??

Looks nice so far. The aiming and sound reminds me of "Medal of honor Airborne".

Animating other characters will probably be the biggest challenge because it has to look good both physically and visually without getting too complex (shaking while trying to walk super realistically on stairs) or too simple and inaccurate (showing overlaps with an arm or weapon next to a wall). Implement the hardest challenges first and then move on to the simpler ones.
* Character animation before climbing ladders (same system might not look good for both).
* Path-finding before weirdly shaped levels and obstacles (some scenes require a much more complex AI).
* Large scale stress tests on broad-phases and game logic before adding more heavy features.
* Optimize data structures early but algorithms late, because one cannot encapsulate the module interface itself.
When you got the core right, the rest is just a matter of time before it's done.

It looks comfortable, the feedback i would give you for your FPS game is, the recoil could be a little more convincing, incorporate bullet drop, and wind effecting bullets for max realism,(if you want). I also must mention i am a fan of Heavy feeling guns in games, like when i shoot a gun in a game i think of Black, Doom 2016,  BulletStorm, things like that because of the sounds of the weapons mainly. They are very chuncky, bassy sounds for the gun fire, along with the sounds for loading the weapons. Also i think in most games where guns feel heavy they are thicker than usual in look. I personally do not care if a gun is powerful in comparison to how it feels to me in a game. To me Pubg gun sounds aren't that heavy and need more bass for this heavy affect. Also may i recommend a quick cover system for your FPS game like in gears of war but done differently. Cover systems are enjoyable and give a sense of realism, as if you were in a real gun fight, i'm sure you would dive to the nearest cover so you can think about your next move. Keep up the good work, it looks good what you have. 

11 hours ago, Harry Loretz said:

Cover systems are enjoyable

Since when? :) 

After the success of Gears of War and the explosion of cover-based shooters in the following years, the general feeling about them was that cover-based shooters are boring, because they make firefights static, and more like a shooting gallery.

"Realism" in general is overrated (and boring too). For example, at ranges found in a typical FPS, you will never notice the difference between having bullet drop and not having it, unless you unrealistically increase the amount of bullet drop. Same with wind effects, ricochets and other "realistic" features.

14 hours ago, 1024 said:

Since when? :) 

After the success of Gears of War and the explosion of cover-based shooters in the following years, the general feeling about them was that cover-based shooters are boring, because they make firefights static, and more like a shooting gallery.

"Realism" in general is overrated (and boring too). For example, at ranges found in a typical FPS, you will never notice the difference between having bullet drop and not having it, unless you unrealistically increase the amount of bullet drop. Same with wind effects, ricochets and other "realistic" features.

Your right, about the bullet drop, if you only plan to make a close quarters game. I am a very big gears of war fan, Cover systems are fun when they save your life. I always appreciate having dash or dodge movement in shooter games. I get your point about cover systems turning things into a static shooter. Depends what your working towards, i am working on a magic RTS-3PS Game so i like things being far away from realism mostly. So many times in pubg i wish i could have dove to cover, even if i don't stick to it like in GOW. 

Why does it appear so difficult to get ammo out of the crates?

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement