texturing a race track - applying variations

Started by
1 comment, last by Rutin 4 years, 6 months ago

I have created a simple race track in Blender using bezier curve, array and curve modifiers. Please see here. A track is created from simple planes and the basic seamless asphalt texture looks quite good. As you can see a basic texture is repeated for a single segment to better match a track scale. I would like to add to the race track some variations, for example a normal map with cracks and transparent texture with tyre marks. I wonder how to achieve a realistic effect. I have two ideas:

• prepare many different textures and load them randomly for a track segment
  • prepare a few bigger textures, generate somehow a second texture coordinates channel and apply bigger textures for a group of the segments

but maybe there is better way.

Finally I would like to export that race track (for example as wavefront obj file) and load in opengl graphics engine using assimp library.

How such texture variations are achieved in games ?

Advertisement

I will normally create a material with different attributes to output a variety of variations procedurally then blend those variations throughout the environment.

What you're essentially doing is making different variations of a seamless texture then blending throughout. You can either manually define it through vertex painting and masking, or use a procedural method to generate how the different textures are mapped to the object and blended.

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement