Initial Funding in Proof of Concept

Started by
5 comments, last by Tom Sloper 4 years, 5 months ago

What best practices should be considered when determining initial funding needs to present in a proof of concept for a game?

Advertisement

The funding request should be realistic and reasonable. What other aspects of determining funding needs do you think there might be? Can you state some examples of what you're looking to find out?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I am working on a game idea. Also, I am developing a proof of concept for my game. I need to understand the best way to determine an amount to request for initial funding through a POC. For example, should the initial funding be used for paying employees or should it go toward paying for some of the resources for beginning to create the game?  

You're planning to pitch to investors, or a crowdsource platform, I take it. You need to think way beyond the cost to develop. You need to show investors the money stream when the game is released, too. They want to know that there's going to be a profit. You'll need to prepare facts and figures about how the game will be monetized. You need to plan out the costs of running the game once it's released, and think about M&A and your exit strategy. Nobody's going to give you money to make a POC without confidence in the overall plan. The POC is usually made out of pocket. 

Thank you for your reply. This clarifies for me that the funding is not broken down but rather encompasses the entire completed game.

The funding is broken down. But you need a complete plan, which needs to be updated with each funding request.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement