Hi Guy! Where do you start in Pixel Art desing?

Started by
4 comments, last by Kryzon 4 years, 4 months ago

I am an indie game dev and currently, I don't know where to start drawing pixel art style. I've already made the code but I don't know the design. Can somebody give me a tip for starting to make Pixel art?

Lựa chọn hình thức quảng cáo tại sân bay Tân Sơn Nhất đa dạng phong phú, với nhiều vị trí thuận lợi. Trong bối cảnh thị trường quảng cáo phát triển phong phú, đa dạng và nhiều hình thức quảng cáo đang rơi vào tình trạng “bão hòa”. Tuy không tiếp cận rộng lớn như những hình hình thức trước đó. Nhưng rõ ràng những hình ảnh, video hiển thị sinh động và được thay đổi liên tục sẽ mang lại hiệu quả tích cực trong truyền thông, quảng cáo của doanh nghiệp. Chính vì vậy, đây chính là cơ hội mà doanh nghiệp có thể quảng bá thương hiệu, sản phẩm, hay các cơ hội việc làm hấp dẫn bằng những tính năng mà loại màn hình này mang lại. Để khẳng định đẳng cấp thương hiệu trong lĩnh vực bất động sản, mới đây một chiến dịch quảng cáo lightbox cho Novaland đã được triển khai tại sân bay Tân Sơn Nhất, TPHCM - Một trong những sân bay hàng đầu của Việt Nam. Việc lắp đặt màn hình quảng cáo tại đây sẽ giúp cho những thông điệp truyền tải trở nên đặc biệt, nâng tầm đẳng cấp doanh nghiệp so với các đối thủ cạnh tranh.

Advertisement

Aseprite is a good program. Its relatively cheap and easy to animate in. Rotoscoping is a fun way to start, you have a guide for what to outline and can experiment with coloring, resizing and animation to build on then you can make small gradual changes. There is no substitute for time put in drawing, that's the only way to really get your own style. Also, if you are really trying to do this get a usb tablet, cheap is okay, entry level wacom tablets are about $30-50.

Actually I wouldn't recommend even bothering with a tablet that doesn't have a built-in screen. There are obviously a lot of artists who can create great art with a screenless tablet, but it takes a lot of training (depending on your personal aptitude, YMMV) to get good at it, and in the meantime pixel art is one of the styles where you can get by with just using a mouse. It's mostly high-res digital painting where you absolutely mus have a tablet.

And check out the Miniboss pixelart tutorial gif's: https://blog.studiominiboss.com/pixelart

Those Miniboss tutorials posted by @riidom look great, but they are for experienced artists.

What most pixel art tutorials (including those Miniboss ones) don't tell you, is that to be good at pixel art you first need to be a good artist, period. You need to learn the fundamentals.

For example, those Miniboss tutorials mention the term "anticipation". This is one of the classic "12 principles of animation" as told by classic Disney artists. This is stuff you need to learn outside of the tutorial, you won't go far at all if you rely on that tutorial alone.
Or if you don't know how to keyframe and breakdown a sequence of animation (the theory behind it).
Or if you don't know color theory (additive & subtractive systems, color harmony and contrast, color vision, light and material science etc.).

You should be able to design, draw and paint already. If you don't have artistic skill your work will look bad all the same, no matter if you're painting in 4K HD or pixel art.
If you have no interest in getting better at art, but still want to have beautiful graphics for your game, the smart choice would be to find an artist to work with you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement