How to animate parts of a merged mesh

Started by
1 comment, last by wallyadams 4 years, 3 months ago

Hello everybody,

I have programmed a mobile game in Unity, in which some low poly ships are visible simultaneously (10+ Ships). The performance is good, but I would like to reduce the number of meshes and materials for even better performance. Until now I have always animated the ships in Unity and separated towers, planes and other moving parts from the mesh. But now i would like to join the mesh completely in Blender and then animate it without bones/rigging, so that the performance in Unity is not affected by all the bones.

I have researched and understood/tested/learned this so far:

- Blend Shapes/Shape Keys can't help in my case, because they only perform a morph movement from point A to point B but not more complex animations. Also, there is no way to keep the volume of a complex object during rotation.

- the NLA editor can combine actions and you don't have to reanimate the same animation a thousand times but can apply it to several objects via the NLA editor, but complex animations only work with bones/rigging.

- i could rig the ships but this is quite a lot of work for 50+ ships and would not necessarily be good for performance, also the mesh should not overlap and this is the case with all my ships

Am i right?

So my question is: Is it possible to have a completely joined mesh, but still animate single towers, airplanes, gates etc.? And if so, how?

Thanks for your help/time!

Advertisement

of course, with simple translations and rotations after selecting the polygons you want to animate. it doesn't matter whether you use bones with rigging or not, they are meant to be a helper anyway. the more complicated the model is, the more arises the need to rig to get a better result.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement