How was the webgl context made for the HTML Canvas?

Started by
3 comments, last by SuperVGA 3 years, 2 months ago

Originally, I wanted to know how to ship my own context API for the browser canvas, but at this stage it seemed far fetched.
Therefore ,I want to ask what and how was the WebGL shipped?
What was it written in?
How does it work so well with the browser?

Advertisement

Where can I find this specification?
Out of curiosity, I have seen that Microsoft has a polyfill that loads what I believe to be a DLL file into the browser using a Web API for
XMLHttpRequest. Can this be done for the canvas context API?IF so does it require WASM Web Assembly.
``javascript

var xmlhttp = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
``

yes,i am.

nnamdi said:

Microsoft has a polyfill that loads what I believe to be a DLL file into the browser using a Web API for
XMLHttpRequest. Can this be done for the canvas context API?IF so does it require WASM Web Assembly.

While there might be some truth to this, it reads a bit like a parody. Some generators exist that produce similar sentences.

On-topic, are you saying that ms produced a polyfill that you can use on your page, allowing you to load in a DLL through js? What browsers would that work with? It sounds very unlikely, but it could be an archaic IE feature, perhaps.

Why it would use a web API, let alone an XMLHttpRequest? I'm just not following - does the polyfill acquire the DLL from somewhere else, and then download it first?

What does this have to do with Canvas contexts? Is it because this DLL does some fancy stuff to add canvas support on certain versions of IE? Also, where does webassembly enter the picture?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement