Can you give feedback on my game website?

Started by
30 comments, last by Tom Sloper 2 years, 9 months ago

Hi there,

I hired a web designer to make a site for a game I've been working on.

What do you think of the site? As a gamer, does the site pique your interest in the game? If you were an investor looking for a game project, what would you think of this one?

What do you think of the navigation, aesthetics, etc..? What would you change about it?

The site: https://starimperium.mooncatgamescompany.com/

Advertisement

Avada esports? The domain name says catgamescompany, and since those two didn't match, I wasn't keen on exploring further. Will the hero title and the domain name eventually match?

The site is unusable without enabling Javascript. I'm not going to enable Javascript just to view your website.

@SuperVGA Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed, since it isn't showing in Firefox, or in Fullscreen chrome. It's the name of the template, but it shouldn't be there. I let my web developer know.

Everything requiring JS is bad design (like the content of every single page). Took me 15 seconds to load the first image on the front page. Really slow website in general, feels like it's hosted on a free shared website host or something.

Otherwise looks ok. It's cute and I like most of it, especially the mooncat-logo (but that's just me).

totesmagotes said:

@SuperVGA Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed, since it isn't showing in Firefox, or in Fullscreen chrome. It's the name of the template, but it shouldn't be there. I let my web developer know.

Ah, alright - great! Something else I've noticed is that the visuals across the pages don't match in terms of colours:
The Home -page is fine, with white on black, granted the “JOIN THE COMMUNITY” is all-caps and on a very light blue background, differing from the above sections. But if you go to the next page - “Gameplay overview”, you have these white tiles with black on them (and wonky animations on their neighboring tiles) instead of white on black. It seems like a drastic difference to change theme like that. Moving on, the FAQ is white on grey, the Dev blog is black on white, the Story is grey on blue, Factions is white (and grey!) hovering over the background image. The Contact -page has bright grey over darker grey and finally Community, which has all sorts of monochrome on a light grey background.

Except for the faint grey body text in the faction pages, there's nothing wrong with the individual colour schemes. But on the same site, I think the colouring should be consistent, with the option of having specific sections inverted or highlighted in a single manner.

source61 said:
Everything requiring JS is bad design (like the content of every single page).

Yes, everything! Google.com for instance, is absolutely horrible. It's not JS' fault that the site is slow, it's the server, developer, client etc.

SuperVGA said:

source61 said:
Everything requiring JS is bad design (like the content of every single page).

Yes, everything! Google.com for instance, is absolutely horrible. It's not JS' fault that the site is slow, it's the server, developer, client etc.

To be fair most Google services including the search engine works without JS, many large websites I've noticed even uses CSS dropdown menu's nowadays.
I agree it's not the JS' fault, they were meant to be separate statements.

Knowing little about web design (although oddly enough I did about a year of JavaScript client side stuff at one point), I'll just chime in and say it looks pretty cool to me, and at least on my computer it's pretty responsive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement