making a game narrative from personal experience?

Started by
4 comments, last by taby 3 years, 2 months ago

So for a while now, I've been writing a memoir of sorts.

I'm Bipolar 1, and I wanted to capture some of my experiences. It's still hard to write, but lately I've been thinking if I should make it into a game? (instead of a book)

I don't want to post my direct writing here, because its a bit too personal for the general internet.

But the details aside, a large portion of my writing is about my manic episodes and a romantic relationship I had.

Now before you think I'm crazy, let me assure you that I've tried the same thing over and over again, expecting new results, So I'm most definitely insane.

I'm more interested in asking if it is a good idea to make a a game from personal experience. It would be hard for you to decide on if I should make the game, without reading my experience but what are some questions I should ask myself?

One of the things a team member that is a writer said was if I do publish the writing or make a game, it exposes me to anyone who will potentially join my team or invest in my venture, It allows them a deeper insight into me, and could be used as a disqualifying factor.

What do you think?

How would I change my writing from book to game?

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Advertisement

GeneralJist said:
I'm more interested in asking if it is a good idea to make a a game from personal experience.

Absolutely! The game will be unique, and it will be YOURS.

GeneralJist said:
How would I change my writing from book to game?

Interactively, preferably. (Better than linearly, in my book.)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

There are a heap of cool, unique indie games with unusual approaches, topics and game themes cropping up all over the place. There is a target audience and the development costs and distribution has never been cheaper or easier.

A graphic novel, point and click or rpg style game could all tell your story for you.

GeneralJist said:
One of the things a team member that is a writer said was if I do publish the writing or make a game, it exposes me to anyone who will potentially join my team or invest in my venture, It allows them a deeper insight into me, and could be used as a disqualifying factor.

There is software out there you don't need to hire anyone in the early stages of your game. For example Articy Draft in where you can design your game and write your story in an interactive way. I also know they're working on a new version which will have a lot of improvements especially for narrative writing. You can then export your stuff into Unity or Unreal with their free plugins, creating a full fledged game. All you have to do is to polish it in the end, add sounds and possibly voiceover and so on

GeneralJist said:

There are positive and negative aspects to any decision in life. There will be people who sympathize, there will be people who hate.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Gaming is just another medium. OpenGL is literally a triangle drawing API…. a tool for art. Go big and bold or go home! ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement