Questions from a programmer on tips for creating Art.

Started by
2 comments, last by DexTheDev 2 years, 11 months ago

"Good eveeeeninggg, I bid you welcomee" <Dracula 1931 voice>

I'm doing a project and was curious if anyone would lend a hand in tools to help design a few small arena levels, I made one so far which I'll share it's extremely basic but I'm in the programming area not so much the beautiful way of the ARTS.

Not asking for free 3D Models or concept art, just curious if there are any tools that would make such a thing easier, or if someone would be willing to do so that would be incredible. <3 I hope everyone has had a good weekend!

Advertisement

It depends on what you are doing exactly. But, I'm in the same boat as you, more programmer and less artist. The one thing that helps me is to really try learning all the tricks the software provides. My choice is Blender. There are tons of modifiers, which can make modelling so much easier. A basic asteroid for example can be done using a cube, add subdivision to get a sphere shape, use a couple displacement modifiers with something like cloud textures(one for bigger detail, one for smaller detail), and then move the original 6 verts of the cube around to get a nicer shape. Modifiers give the power to do lots of things in a non-destructive way, which helps.

Besides modifiers, there are plenty of other tools available, things like curves, extra primitives to start with, add-ons, neat stuff like meta-balls, just lots of stuff. Once you learn about all these things and think about it similar to how you think about coding, over time you will start seeing how to combine things to end up with workable models. As long as you aren't expecting perfect topology this method works pretty well.

@undefined Oh yeah, I’ve been using blender for about a week, I have so many weird issues with the retopology, the lines and some faces just disappear on me and it’s frustrating, so I end up stopping, but thanks for the tips, i need to learn the defusing colors etc of it, been watching vids.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement