Game Design Basics

Started by
5 comments, last by Tom Sloper 2 years, 1 month ago

Hello everybody, I'm new to Game Design and looking for books and Articles on Game Design Logic/Mechanics. The more I try to dissect games, it becomes obvious that they are just an assamblage of typical logic mechanics like buttons, enemy objects, doors, collectible objects, danger zones, etc.

Is there something that is considered like a game design bible for example?

thanks

Advertisement

The Art of Game Design = Jesse Schell

(game design bible, not programming)

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out

Mondowonder said:
The more I try to dissect games, it becomes obvious that they are just an assamblage of typical logic mechanics

That's an important realization.

Don't stop there, though. Games are a form of enterprise software, so the things that apply to enterprise-grade software apply to games. Games are a subset of high performance computing, so those are good topics. Repeat for specialty after specialty. Good developers realize games contain elements found in virtually every industry, and that there is no useless knowledge when it comes to games.

For designers pick any topic, including topics many people feel are useless: religions of the world, fashion design, architecture of ages past, philosophies of the ages, astrology, paranormal subjects, you name it and it is a topic that shows up in games somewhere.

Thread locked due to off-topic necro (deleted).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement