1st person vs 3rd person animations

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 2 years, 3 months ago

Hello Game Devs!
I'm currently designing a FPS (First Person Shooter) and I found myself wondering;
Which is better, to have one person working on 1st and 3rd person animations (with weapons) or to have one person focused on 1st person and another on 3rd person animations.

And regarding the weapon, should the artist (3D Modeler) do the weapon animation himself aswell. Or is that better off left for the animators.
Please feel free to comment or share your thoughts or suggestions, and if you include in your opinion the advantages and disadvantages of each path.
Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge on the subject, it is greatly appreciated!!

None

Advertisement

I would say the skill needed to animate TP motion is so much higher than for FP hands and weapons, so that this skilled person should be able to work on FP stuff as well even without former experience.

And i would give the FP weapon and hands animations to animators, not modelers. In general, if i would not know anything about them.

But you will get much better answers form your artists. It mostly depends on how ‘all-round vs. specialized’ they are in person.
It's quite likely one guy could do all of this well if time allows so. Or a team of artists should be capable to propose a good initial distribution of works according to their skills and experience on their own.
I guess you do not have a full army of specialized AAA artists where management and planning from above is needed, then you wouldn't ask ; )

(Notice i'm just a one men indie dev and lack industry experience.)

Saif_youssef said:
Which is better, to have one person working on 1st and 3rd person animations (with weapons) or to have one person focused on 1st person and another on 3rd person animations.

This is not a Game Design question. It's been moved to the Production and Management forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement