Maya or Blender?

Started by
10 comments, last by Komatsu 1 year, 8 months ago

I am a beginner in creating 3D assets, and I wondered which program is better to start with, Blender or Maya. I have heard good things about both, but I don't know which one would be easier to use. Does anyone have suggestions?

Advertisement

See this other thread: https://gamedev.net/forums/topic/711735-blender-vs-3ds-max-vs-maya-vs-zbrush/

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If yoy think Maya is frustrating, then wait to see the nightmare blender is

doesn't matter. you only need to learn the basics of 3d and that will occupy you for at least a couple years.

once you understand 3d the difference in software is only a matter of preference in ergonomics.

if you are keen on animation maya has best toolset for that. If you are aiming for a job at a studio probably just go with what their job application ask for. If you are money strapped the obvious choice is blender.

AF1Beast said:
I am a beginner in creating 3D assets, and I wondered which program is better to start with, Blender or Maya.

It depends entirely on you. If you can, try all DCC tools, try to model something, see which feels intuitive for you.
Some tools can do a certain job 10 times better than the other, but it depends on your personal preferences and habits.

This was my experience (dates back 10 years):
3DsMax: Great to model technical stuff or Logos, bad to model organic stuff like characters. Complex UI, fast at rendering simple animations not requiring fancy raytracing. Good tool for every job.
Modo: Great to model organic / characters. Intuitive UI, feels simple in a good way.
Softimage XSI: Great to animate characters and develop something like IK rigs. Very logical UI, but complex.

Blender: Non-intuitive UI, barely usable to me. I hate it and always think ‘this would be so easy to fix’.
Maya: Seems pretty good. I liked it, but have tried it only shortly.

Another person would tell you a completely different story.

Afaik Maya and Blender are now dominating the games industry, so limiting to those two options might have it's reason.
Blender costs just a lot less. : )

fleabay said:
Maya is complex and it also has a lot of non-crashing bugs.

All of them are somewhat buggy i would say.

Did nobody notice that the question was asked 4 months ago?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom Sloper said:
Did nobody notice that the question was asked 4 months ago?

Ooops, actually i did look at the date!

…but then i realized i do not even know which year we have.

Regarding the complexity of Blender's UI (and a point that I don't think was addressed in the thread to which Tom Sloper linked), I gather that Blender significantly overhauled its interface in recent versions, and further, that it's now somewhat more beginner-friendly.

That said, do take this with some salt: I haven't actually used the new version myself, I believe, and thus am only passing on what I recall hearing. (I'm sticking with an older version of Blender for now, as I'm used to it and it fits into my current workflow.)

Thus, I would suggest not taking the criticism of Blender's UI quite to heart, and giving the current version a try to see how you feel about it.

JoeJ said:
…but then i realized i do not even know which year we have.

We live in “this year”. ;P

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

@Tom Sloper oops sorry. i just saw at top of a list and assumed was recent.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement