Is it in bad taste to include Russia and Ukraine in a game about running a restaurant chain?

Started by
23 comments, last by luckyjohn 1 year, 6 months ago

I am making a restaurant chain simulation game that takes place on Earth in 2100 (actually it takes place in the Solar System and several of my interpretations of what nearby star systems would be like, but still). When on Earth, the player will be able to expand their chain worldwide. However, I have one problem: I am afraid that if I include Russia as a country in-game, it will be in bad taste towards those affected by the war in Ukraine.

However, if I don't include Russia somehow (e.g. by making that area of the game have a different name or have other countries occupy that space in-game), it might look like I am denying the war in Ukraine or even the existence of Russia itself, as well as that of Putin. The only real-life things included for the Russia area would be Russian food, Russian landmarks, and major cities like St. Petersburg, and Moscow.

Also, I am afraid that having maps in the Ukraine area being different will also be denying the war, even though only Ukranian cities and Ukranian food would be included.

Should I have a completely different world for the game to take place in out of respect for people affected by the war?

Advertisement

This may not be the time. Or if you feel strongly about it, write a statement of purpose (a manifesto, if you will) for including the present hot zone in your game about a different time. Maybe the statement will show you some ideas to include in the game to reinforce the statement.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Is it necessary to have countries in your game? While we have them in reality and they differ significantly in many ways, if your game is not using those differences, then may be just major cities where you can open an restaurant is enough.

@Tom Sloper OK! I guess I will just have to create my own world and say it's an Earth-like planet that was discovered after years of space travel then. That would also save me the work of creating models for real-world landmarks.

Who is to say that Russia as a state will still be around in 2100? Just break it up into smaller states.

@a light breeze but then I would have to explain what happened to Russia in-game. And I don't know what I would have to do about Ukraine.

a light breeze said:
Who is to say that Russia as a state will still be around in 2100? Just break it up into smaller states.

So you predict the fall of the Russian empire. That's a political statement bordering propaganda!

(Just wanted to reply with the joke: ‘If you have a question about good taste, ask anyone - but no gamedevs!’ :D )

BradleyAuerbach said:
OK! I guess I will just have to create my own world and say it's an Earth-like planet that was discovered after years of space travel then. That would also save me the work of creating models for real-world landmarks.

You could also do like GTA does. Car brands and cities names similar to real world names, but still fictional.
But not sure if that's enough for political correctness, as i'm a gamedev myself. : )

These days it can be in bad taste to sneeze. Do what you want but setting it on another world probably gets rid of some issues. For instance all my “humans” will have green skin. If you do include Russia there is nothing inherently wrong with that. Russia certainly isn't the first nation to invade another country.

JoeJ said:

a light breeze said:

So you predict the fall of the Russian empire. That's a political statement bordering propaganda!

Well, yeah. That's the idea. I'd rather make a stand for what I feel is right than to try to please everybody. I have no ill will toward the Russian people, but Putin needs to die and his dream of a new Soviet Union with him. Luckily for us, Putin's Russian empire is already well on its way toward self-destruction.

Now if I were feeling vindictive, I would expand the borders of Ukraine at the expense of Russia in my hypothetical non-dystopian map of the world in the year 2100.

By the time you finish the game, the war will be probably over. Then you can adjust the maps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement