Hey everyone, I'm Clayton, an Indie Dev living in Canada. A big fan of Games in general, from small indies to large studio games.
I've been working on Adventures of DaKoo the Dragon for sometime now. The game focuses heavily on replayability. While taking inspiration and paying homage to the classic games of old using a hand drawn art style.

Overview

Arriving home to a village on fire, DaKoo must set out on a journey to discover what has happened. Throwing players into a bevy of tests as they play over 150 levels. Plus a randomized level rollout makes every run of Adventures of DaKoo the Dragon unique. Animations, enemy spawning, and attacks are all randomized. All due to enhance the depth of gameplay. As you work from level to level you’ll enter vortex levels. There you will also have to face gravity zones and traps. While you work to collect shield power-ups and even fly rocket ships. With multiple ways to attack you will take on 5 Bosses among the many objects.

Features:

Use attacks on the ground or in the air to defend or attack enemies

Use Fireballs to defend or attack enemies and bosses

Work through vortex levels and gravity zones. Doing so using 90 and 180 degree turns

Use jump combos to take on multiple enemies at the same time. All while you work to destroy enemy factories

Use 5 different shields to defend yourself. Working through 5 different settings plus multiple Vortex levels

If your interested in this game, please visit the steam page.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2011440/Adventures_of_DaKoo_the_Dragon/

None

Advertisement

Visuals look great! :D
I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but even I could possibly enjoy the gameplay in this. I might check it out.
Anyway, just wanted to congratulate - seems like a well done game, and it looks great!

Andy Pett

I really do hope you'll give it a go. I've played the game so many times I can't count and I still have fun with it because the game never plays the same way twice.

Thanks for the feedback, it's really appreciated!

None

That Looks really good. I’m from Saskatchewan.

Thanks taby! I'm also in Saskatchewan too!

None

Oh cool! I work for the U of S, remotely from PA.

Very cool, I'm in Wakaw

None

Oh sweet. I used to spend time in the summers at my friend’s cabin on Wakaw lake!

P.S. What engine did you use for your game? Can you tell everyone more about your creative process?

The Lake is awesome, sounds like fun. As for the engine, I used Construct 2.

None

I missed the part about the creative process, apologies. I'll use DaKoo as the example.

I tried to think of how I could tell a story from a different perspective, brainstorming. What could I do to make the game more dynamic/ re-playable. Can I remove as many limitations as possible for the player, like having instant response, allowing the player to switch from one type of attack to another in the middle of another. Ground to fire to jump to air to fire and back to jump, while allowing flying at any given moment and then returning to what they were doing previously (In short, controlled chaos).

When it came to actually creating the game, I drew the character first( of which, there have been many iterations) . Very roughly, low framerate, maybe 11 max. I then started to flesh-out the character and the first environment. Thinking of the themes for the others but mostly focused on the first set of levels. I was constantly looking to improve the character. Adding things like boxing gloves and rubber chickens as a way to help with the visuals and to define when certain actions are occurring. Really, there was a lot of trial and error. I think of it as more of a sculpture, starting with something square and working with it until it took shape. Lots of long hours and late nights, working and reworking things while asking myself, will people even like this???.

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement