Does this look “professional” enough?

Started by
2 comments, last by maeve 1 year, 1 month ago

Art student and aspiring environmental concept artist here, looking for feedback. Does this look like professional concept art for an in-development horror game? It’s not, but I’m hoping that you guys could critique it like it is.

Thanks!

Advertisement

It doesn't tell me enough about the game. All I know is that there's a demon cat. And either it's a giant demon cat, or I'm a mouse.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@undefined Ok that’s helpful! So if I understand correctly, if I were helping to develop a real game, my concept art would need to better communicate the concept of the game (I feel a little bit dumb now that I’ve written it out—of course it needs to communicate the concept, it’s concept art lol). I didn’t really have a game idea in mind when I made this piece, but I will take your feedback to heart and challenge myself to come up with one, and then I’ll make more art that hopefully illustrates the idea really well!

Thank you so much for your feedback!

If this is one piece in a collection, and there to show the mood of a level or boss, then I'd say it's pretty good! You could continue adding details and refining it forever, but as concept art you typically have to timebox the work, and this is more than enough to get a mood across, As Tom points out, it doesn't immediately tell anything about gameplay or characters, but you do write “environment concept art” so that's fine. If you wanted to communicate a complete game concept, it would either have to be something people already knew in order to be communicated in a single image, or you'd need a series of images.

Ok! Thank you so much for the feedback! I’ve already come up with a game idea to go with this piece, so for my next post I think I’ll try to make a series of pieces that communicate the gameplay, themes and setting well! I’m glad to know that my piece communicates atmosphere well, and I hope my next pieces will also do so!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement