What game systems do you think make for a great RPG

Started by
4 comments, last by Codemaster Jamal 10 months, 1 week ago

hello, I am working on creating an RPG with some friends and we have a solid idea for combat mechanics and design, but I was wondering what would be a good hook for a RPG. There are so many different styles and stores, but they all differ a bit, maybe a shop? or crafting system? how would one even learn how to create things like that? If anyone has any ideas or websites I would be happy to learn.

Thank you

Sincerely,

Clyde Rollins

Cjrollins13@yahoo.com

Advertisement

It doesn't matter how many systems are in there - as long as they are immersive, fit into the world and have a purpose in a story. What really makes a good RPG is player's actually playing role in the world and making decisions that have impact to an extent.

How one learns to create things like that? You mean whole games or just certain mechanics?

In case of certain mechanics - what we do is implementing parts of gameplay mechanics as mini-games and testing whether they are fun for players (no magic in it - you literally make a small game doing that single mechanics - and let actual players play it and complain to you). The feedback from random players is important, because you need an opinion of people who didn't participate in design/talks/development of certain mechanics.

In case of whole games - it's well… complex topic, much bigger than what a single post could cover.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Its great to have a nice Inventory and Item system if you plan to have pick ups. Let those Items fit into Inventory Slots that you can access. An Inventory is often an array of Inventory Slots.

A fluid Movement system is essential whether its top down, sidescroller, or 3D. Movement stays with the player the whole experience.

A good Dialogue system is good for immersion. Having the player being able to interact and be interacted with.

A level system as well. What happens when i complete a dungeon? Do i move to the next? Do i walk through a portal to the next scene?

Hope this helped! Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions!
https://discord.gg/KExBmX7y

None

@MyFriendTre
Inventory:

Dialogue

None

I would say focus more on the story and think about the settings of the RPG. Don't forget, it's a Role-Playing Game. Meaning, the charactets in your game are basically just actors. What type of story and your telling to your audience? Is it Steampunk, medieval fantasy, or a western? Depending on the setting of the story is how you should determine the mechanics of your game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement