Resolution independent effects

Started by
2 comments, last by SBD 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Hi all,

Currently iam doing some effects Bloom, water bilateral filter.. that are using blurs and kernels, I have fixed size kernel for blurs. This works in 1080,but in 4k same kernels will sample same amount of pixels, but cover smaller distance. I'm thinking about 2 possibilities : change kernels size based on resolution, or change sampling rate, for bigger resolution instead of every pixel, sample every other pixel, for smaller resolution, sample same pixel multiple times ? How is this handled ?

Advertisement

One way would be to provide a uniform or compile-time constant to the shader so that it knows how big to make the blur. You can pass in a BLUR_SAMPLES constant as a preprocessor define, then use that as the loop size for the blur kernel. In my code I have a few different fixed kernel sizes (9, 17, 33 px), and choose between those such that kernel size is ≥ BLUR_SAMPLES.

Beyond that, you can do multiple passes to implement a blur kernel of any size using a fixed-size kernel. Two Gaussian blurs in series of kernel size sigma1 and sigma2 have sigma12 = sqrt( sigma1*sigma1 + sigma2*sigma2 ). I determine the number of passes like this:

int passCount = max( (int)ceiling( square(radius) / square(baseKernelSize) ), 1 );

On each pass the kernel radius is:

float totalRadius = 0.0f;
for ( int i = 0; i < passCount; i++ ) {
    float passRadius = min( baseKernelSize, sqrt( max( square(radius) - square(totalRadius), 0.0f ) ) );

// do blur using previous pass result as input

totalRadius = sqrt( square(totalRadius) + square(passRadius) );
}

On the last pass you need to reduce the size of the kernel (using uniform scale factor in shader) so that you get the right kernel size.

Another option is to downsample to a fixed resolution before performing your post effect, then upscale when compositing that to the final image. It's a common optimization before performing costly post-effects (doing ½ resolution processing, for example), this just pushes that to a fixed processing resolution. The caveat here is that it has to be an effect that isn't sensitive to lowered resolution. For things like bloom and/or glow downsampling works decently, but you can still get issues with flickering when affected pixels get small and wander in and out of the downsampled image.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement