Choosing a development tool or strategy

Started by
2 comments, last by frob 9 months ago

Hi, I am in the brain storming phase of my new game and want some input on how to think about choosing a tool/engine to create it in. Just some high level things about the game:

• It will be a top down, 2D browser based game.
  • It is like a kingdom building game with clicks to get to new areas and stuff, it WON'T be a player moving around.
  • Ability to create an account.
  • Ability to implement micro transactions (not a requirement, but nice to have these days).
  • I want players to be able to go to different areas and there they can fight people in neighbouring areas. Therefore I need some sort of ability for player interactions, doesn't have to be real time but can be updates every 10 seconds or so to see if someone new gets into the area. The fighting will be one sided and both players will not see the fight at the same time, if that makes sense.
  • I want to create simpler effects and sounds but doesn't have to be major.

Let me know if you want more info about the general thoughts.

My current options are the following based on my previous competence:

• Unity and export to webgl
    • Lots of assets to access and I have created lots of games in it before.
    • Easy to create effects, should have plugins for transactions and logins.
    • Is it overkill?
  • HTML/CSS/JS and possibly some helper library like Phaser.JS
    • I have more knowledge from building websites before but have not created a game
    • Seems easy to handle logins and keep track of other players with a database.
    • Much easier UI handling for me.
    • I don't have too much knowledge with Phaser or similar but could probably learn it.

What would you suggest for this type of game? I would prefer the 2nd apporach but might be difficult to create effects and the more “gamier” part of it?

Advertisement

Reading between the lines, you seem to lack a precise idea of the graphics and appearance you want for your game: it is therefore impossible to tell whether plain HTML with a canvas here and there will look good enough. Study similar browser games and find out how the ones that look good are made.

From your description, it seems the type of multiplayer game that has most of its complexity in the authoritative back end: design it first, with cheap proof of concept game and administrative clients.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

eligolf said:
I have more knowledge from building websites before but have not created a game

Do you know enough C# to build the game in Unity?

Do you know enough JavaScript to develop the game in HTML?

eligolf said:
Ability to create an account.

they can fight people in neighbouring areas

If you go with your own custom JavaScript route, do you have the skills to develop your server?

If you go with Unity, are you comfortable already with Unity Networking? Developing a server can be quite daunting for new developers.

The project sounds like a massive undertaking right from the start. I'd choose based on what existing knowledge you can leverage, or if you don't know either, which direction you'd prefer to learn which will add to the magnitude of the project.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement