Blend of Dynamic and Horror Sci-Fi in CYBER.one: Racing For Souls

Started by
9 comments, last by Cyber_man 8 months, 1 week ago

Hello. My name is Dawid. I've been working on a game for 5 years. At the beginning, things were going smoothly, but later, responsibilities piled up (work, home, family). Technology is advancing rapidly, and it's hard to keep up with it on an old engine. The game is in the stage of refinement, improvements, additions, assembling, and adding new features, fixing errors, etc. That's why your suggestions and observations are most valuable at this moment! Please write, write, write.

Two strong aspects (at least it seems to me) are:

1. The ever-changing environment. Something is constantly appearing, changing, overlapping, intertwining, etc. As if several worlds are merging.
  2. Diverse gameplay. One moment you're driving a car from a third-person view, the next from a third-person view, then you're flying, running, or jumping.

Short description: CYBER.one: Racing For Souls is a modern sci-fi game that combines intense action, diverse car challenges, and a sense of fear, creating an incredible experience. Worlds overlap, tension keeps rising, and the visual design is meant to elevate us beyond imagination. Progress through stages on foot or in a car, exploring a world filled with humanoids, robots, and flying ships. An innovative approach to changing game rules provides unprecedented experiences – from arcade to RPG, from fear to excitement.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1002010/CYBERone_Racing_For_Souls/

Has humanity gone extinct, and if so, how? How can this tragic event be reversed? These are the questions you seek answers to, as you traverse a world that surprises with various dimensions and mysteries. The car is a powerful weapon, but your skills determine whether you'll survive. Many challenges and adversaries await on the path to survival, with spatial sound and an atmospheric soundtrack deepening the immersion. By the end of the year, I will begin sharing materials showcasing the pervasive multidimensionality/multiverse concept. In the screenshots below, you can see an example of how the game developed, how it made significant progress. The overlapping of worlds will be added, taking the game to another level.

This image symbolizes our dedication to creating not only gameplay but also strong bonds and emotions that we can collectively experience while interacting with our virtual world.

Cyber_man

Advertisement

Cyber_man said:
your suggestions and observations are most valuable

You posted this in the Writing forum, so are we to assume you are looking for feedback from writers on the game's writing or storyline?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Opinions and suggestions about whatever you want. This could be graphics, the game world, the scenario, the plot (which I will introduce shortly), etc.

Tom Sloper said:
You posted this in the Writing forum, so are we to assume you are looking for feedback from writers on the game's writing or storyline?

Cyber_man said:
Opinions and suggestions about whatever you want.

Then it was posted in the wrong forum. It has now been moved to Your Announcements. Advertisements are not permitted in the discussion forums. Please familiarize yourself with the site's various features, and please read the site's posting guidelines, before you post again. https://www.gamedev.net/guidelines

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I didn't intend to engage in self-promotion. I'm seeking opinions about the game I'm creating. I apologize for posting this in the wrong section. As for a general question, I believe everyone is interested in something different, so you can express your thoughts in your chosen field. This could include graphics, sound, the game world, philosophy, specialized sciences, etc. I didn't create separate topics because I didn't want to clutter the forum with numerous threads. It seems that an off-topic discussion has emerged, and if the game discussion isn't suitable for the gamedev section, please feel free to delete the thread.

[removed]

I'm sorry: I just clocked through the link. Definitely racing! I think the blurs are a little heavy, and it seems like the FOV might make it difficult to anticipate the track.

How do you go about telling a horror story in a racing game like this one?

Thanks for the commitment SuperVGA

You can walk through fog and drive through fog. Someone might be chasing us on foot or by car. There are horror movies that take place exclusively in a car. The best movies I remember build up tension and show horror or frighten for about 10% of the movie. However, I agree that horror or RPG games aren't visible on the screens yet. Everything is ahead of us.

I would appreciate it if you could show a screenshot from a blurry place, where too much blurring is used.

Cyber_man said:
Someone might be chasing us on foot or by car

Interesting take. I read "Christine", but here it was the car that was haunted. I think it's a good idea to try and evoke horror in a player driving a car. I'm not sure that's been done before.
I recall a scene from the Die Hard Trilogy though (With a Vengeance), where McClane must escape a speeding truck in a very narrow underground spillway. It's taken from the movie, but I think the game did better.
Oh, and Terminator 2 and Resident Evil 2 does wanting to escape from a truck well also…

I take the part about "blurry" back - I see now that they are bloom and DOF effects. I'm still not a fan though, but it's crispier than when I saw it on mobile yesterday:

Heavy light blooming: on the track, underground, in space.
Heavy DOF: on the track 1, on the track 2.

Heavy DOF: on the track 1, on the track 2.

It's correct here because it's an interruption.

Heavy light blooming: on the track, underground, in space.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The first one shows arrows, and in the trailer, there's a similar scene where you can see the arrows right from the beginning, meaning from a very far distance, and they're not obstructive - they need to be visible. In the second one, there's a collision with an opponent and a turn - the entire scene is visible. In space, you can see all the way to the planet you're flying to. It's true that it's difficult to distinguish the distance of the rocks, but there's no issue with that when in motion.

Do you think these effects are bothersome or ugly?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement