What is the backend for RmlUI?

Started by
2 comments, last by ShapeSpheres 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm trying to learn how to use RmlUI and I'm having a bit of a tough time understanding it specifically with the backend stuff it provides. If I'm understanding it correctly it seems like there's 2 ways you can use RmlUI you can either setup and implement everything yourself or you can just use the included backends which does all that work for you. Now since I'm an absolute dummy I went with using the backends for SDL and OpenGL and I noticed that I kept getting two windows and after some digging around it seems like using the backends does all the initializing of SDL and creating the context, etc so does this mean if I use the backends I have to let RmlUI do this for me?

Advertisement

Did you actually read the text of the project?

It literally says: “… The provided backends on the other hand are not intended to be used directly by client projects, but rather copied and modified as needed. …”

@Alberth I did, but I don't know I guess I don't really understand what that means. Are they saying the backends are purely for example purposes or something? Because it does say “To ease the integration of RmlUi, the library includes many backends adding support for common renderers and platforms” and “The provided renderers and platforms are intended to be usable as-is by client projects without modifications, thereby circumventing the need to write custom interfaces.” so I came to the conclusion that using backends was just an alternative way to get rmlui working instead of you having to write it yourself.

Edit: Ok ok I see what it means now. The files named RmlUi Backend XXX XXX are not intended to be used but then then RmlUI Renderer/Platform XXX are.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement