Artificial Intelligence in MMORPG

Started by
1 comment, last by RmbRT 3 months, 2 weeks ago

I saw a post about AI in an MMORPG. although some replies I read brought about many different points. However, they were going too deep into the weeds with their thoughts, instead of building learning algorithms for all mobs. Rather than having all the NPC characters built with machine learning. I was wondering if using AI to grow a world for your game would be feasible with our current technology.

Then using a tiered system to funnel the data chain. Similar to how most mythologies depict a single entity giving birth to the primordials, who in turn give birth to the aspects, the gods created the various races of your world.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, I would love to hear them.

Advertisement

Sounds nonsensical to me. What is growing a world supposed to mean? Like fruit from a tree? And how would this relate to gods in your world? You do not “see” the AI that is generating your world, and neither can you see the process of it doing so. So there is no in-game equivalent of the AI used to generate the world.

And in general, AI cannot create or perceive deeper meaning. Even most humans can't create deeper meaning. Nobody wants to play in a meaningless random world. Procedural generation is good, but even then, you need to have meaningful results. Which is highly nontrivial and becomes exponentially more difficult the larger the world is. And procedurally generating entire races is also infeasible. Unless you want retarded Spore monsters to populate your game world. Just because they are unique does not mean they are meaningful. Look at NFTs. You have thousands of unique but bland and meaningless pictures.

Walk with God.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement