Advertisement

Manpower Needed! Ambitious new project!

Started by June 10, 2000 01:10 AM
14 comments, last by jzbruno 24 years, 2 months ago
Here is the deal. I am looking for programmers, designers, artists, and musicians interested in starting a new project. I am a 17 year old student at La Conner High School in Washington. I am looking towards my future and have been trying to start programming a game myself. I have some knowledge of programming but am looking for experienced programmers to help out with the project, until I can get a good grasp of c++ and game programming. The department where I will be big in is the design and art. At first this will be a test, no profit should be expected, if we can get a good group to get our foot in the door of the industry then I aim to go big. You don''t need to be from where I live, it would help, but it isn''t necessary. Anyone interested, email me at j_bruno@usa.net. From there we will see what we can get going. I have some really good ideas. I hope to talk to someone soon.
If you want to make a game then I suggest you get some actual skill. I don''t mean to sound critical, but even some people with a bit of skill find it almost impossible to get in on a good, ambitious project. I can only imagine how it must be for someone that only wants to be a "designer."
Advertisement
i love it how they say "i''m looking for experienced programmers to help out with the project"

--
Float like a butterfly, bite like a crocodile.

--Float like a butterfly, bite like a crocodile.
goltrpoat. Let me guess. You''re a programmer?
I don''t quite get where you''re coming from on that one. If the''re not helping out then what are they doing (sure as hell not making the entire game, there''s still the story, design, art, modells, design doc etc.) and unless the''re going to do all of that then they are just helping out.
Over and out....Saint[http://www.evolution-v3.co.uk]
I know what he means, but he is still wrong

I''m currently "producing" my own project. We have two (and a half) programmers right now helping out, but they by far are not doing the brunt of the work.

I think he''s taking the assumption that generally programmers have such control of how the game turns out that they tend to lead the project.

It totally depends on how involved you want your programmers ;P

Thomas Murphy
Xenocrisis
http://www.xenocrisis.com
In discussions on this sort of topic I've heard that the following appies in general: If you're making a Myst type of program or something that emphasizes still graphics etc., then you can keep your programmers somewhat uninvolved.

If you're making a 3D game, and/or your game involves intensive AI, and you want good programmers, you better kiss their feet, treat them like kings and make sure they're darn happy working for you and not the competition.

Your treatment and taste in programmers will be a very accurate guage as to the quality of your product.

Mr. Murphy's statement is correct when we're talking about programmers on a payroll. He's paying (good?) money for their talents, and can therefore control their involvement.

My advice to jzbruno is the following:

1) Learn C++,
2) learn DirectX/Direct3D/OpenGL or whatever you need for player interaction,
3) Write a shell of a game that shows some of your concepts.
4) Come back and post when that's done. It should take you only six months to a year.

This is exactly what I am trying to do at the moment. If I come to this board with an interesting prototype I'll stand a good chance of finding skilled partners.

I find that "I want to do the design and conceptual part" translates to "I want to do the easy, most enjoyable part".

Edited by - BS-er on June 11, 2000 2:15:04 PM
Value of good ideas: 10 cents per dozen.Implementation of the good ideas: Priceless.Machines, Anarchy and Destruction - A 3D action sim with a hint of strategy
Advertisement
Thank you very much for all of your replies. You''ve got me all wrong though. There is no pay involved this is just for fun for me to learn. I am not trying to find programmers to take advantage of, I just want to learn, I thought this might be a good way by starting a project with other more experienced people. Thanks anyways. I think i''ll take BS-er''s advice.
I don''t think that you could start with your most ambitious projects at the very beginning. I have very many ambitious ideas. I''m talking BIG games. Several orders of magnitude in scale compared to today''s biggest projects. I''m sure that we''ve all wanted to create macrocosms on the other side of the computer screen.

I also realize that I''m just a beginner. I need to start small and see if I am capable of the small things, the simple things. After that I will worry about the bigger things. If ever I get the funding and the backing in manpower I will take on my more ambitious projects. In the world of the hobbyists however these projects are impractical and impossible to complete.

My advice to you is to start small. Learn one or two of the popular programming languages as well as a compatible game API. Read some books and put together a small group that shares your interests.

I won''t ridiclue you for your ambition, I have more than enough myself. However you need to start the ball rolling before you make a call to action like this one again.

If you are interested I have a small group trying to put together a game over the summer and beyond. We live on the east coast but think about it.

robmcq@mindspring.com

Creativity -- Concept -- Code

Your game is nothing if you don't have all three.

Creativity -- Concept -- CodeYour game is nothing if you don't have all three.http://www.wam.umd.edu/~dlg/terc.htm
Just like to add a note to the bit about programmers (well have to put in my 2 cents worth). Just the comment of Saint Quote "Let me Guess. You''re a programmer?".

That to me kind of seems like this person is tarring all programmers with the same brush of thinking their part is most important?

I know that all parts are equally important when it comes to producing all projects (not just games) but I think what is being meant is that although all parts are important its the program that pulls them together into a game. In theory, all parts of the body where the program is the heart.

And, although graphics and gameplay and all that are important the first person''s turned to when a problem appears is the programmers - even if its down to dodgy drawn graphics or poor design. And no, programmers don''t just help out, helping out means that they have no input. If I am mistaken but on every project I have been my input was just as important as the designers and even project manager.

Just thought I would get that off my chest. Spose I am a "Programmer" now though?
-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.
the programmer''s part is not the most important. i never said that. what i said boils down to the fact that it is entirely too often that people who have no marketable skills whatsoever and assume that their ideas are better than the next guy''s, say things like "i''m working on a game" (uh, no, you''re not) and "i''m looking for people to help out with the project" (uh, no, you''re looking for people to do the project for you while you sit in the back and supply ideas and attempt to solve design issues without having any clue how to solve them). i''m not referring to anyone in particular, it''s just that it seems to be more of a trend now than it used to be.

-goltrpoat
--Float like a butterfly, bite like a crocodile.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement