Robotic race

Started by
15 comments, last by klefebz 8 years, 9 months ago

It could be a 'sorceror's apprentice' situation: Millenia ago somebody instructed a self replicating, learning robot to retrieve some gifts for his wife's anniversary and then promptly died. Now there's a planet deep in space with mountains of jewelry, dead flowers, chocolate boxes... The robots descend on a new planet, severely interupting commerce as they steal gifts and natural resources for replication. Then they leave to deliver it home.

They could be police bots, designed by a long dead race to prevent intestellar warfare. Ships patrol the galaxies, if they happen to observe hostilities, in comes the robot armada. As long as you don't happen to be caught, you can war all you want of course.

Maybe the robots are just searching for understanding about where they came from, who built them. They have no interest in expansion, but do insist on access to worlds for their archeological digs (even if this means you need to move your cities for them). Something interesting could occur if they succeed.

It could be a single, moon sized robot, travelling from planet to planet to trade for or take by force supplies. It doen't conquer or settle or anything, it just floats through space demanding resources and then moving on.

The robots could be friendly, scientific minded beings voraciously researching all they can. They seem great, if you're willing to help provide resources for their work, they'll share research or tireless automatons. If you look into what they're doing, the big project seems to be a galactic sized particle accelerator. If your scientists look into it...hmm...wait, how much energy is going to occur in that collision? No, you don't really think that could cause a vacuum collapse, do you?

Advertisement

What are your other factions?

sure, we could just brain storm away , but knowing where they fit in the overall design would help.

But if you want NPCs that aren't interested in conquest,

Robotic police force & emergency services:

Built for responding to incidents and keeping the peace on variety of planetary conditions, they were programmed with vast knowledge of laws, procedures, and emergency response techniques. Able to respond quicker and with a higher degree of accuracy, they quickly assess the situation, cross reference possibilities and contingencies, and act swiftly in each situation. They are also built to last and operate in diverse harsh environments, including direct vacuum.

Their directives and purpose don't contain expansionary efforts because more of them doesn't actually equate to higher efficiency, and in fact might decrease it. In addition, they were originally meant to be directed by human operators, which no longer exist.

This would allow for both hostile and friendly interactions depending on the situation. Furthermore, having them networked or not would be able to be considered.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

How about a terraforming swarm?

Long ago a race of creators built a swarm of robots designed to seek out compatible planets which could be converted to being livable by themselves and to convert them.

Converting or terraforming was a destructive process which razed the existing planets biosphere to mould it into the form desired by their creators, namely a planet which is a death world to most others and similar to Venus - strong acid clouds high pressure atmosphere and searing temperatures.

Of course the creators died millions of years ago and lacking any true intelligence or anyone to give them a shutdown command, their creators language and all culture lost millions of years ago, anyone unlucky enough to encounter this swarm near their home world is in for a bad day...

Grey Goo esk ^

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Idea for a mechanic (without a story).

- those robots live in various parts of the galaxy, scattered, small clusters

- they launch a conquest mission/colonize and establish a "node world", at least 5 sectors away from other nodes

- next they conquer/colonize 1-2 systems neighbouring the node world as "extension worlds"

- from now on they raid neigbour systems (next to their colonized worlds) and assimilate the population/kidnap the population without conquering the planet

- if at any time the node world is conquered its extension worlds cease to function as well

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

You should look on difficulties and advantages of living creatures, and difficulties and advantages of "less defecting creatures".

Most urgent need of living organic creatures is solved by nourishing on living creatures, and as such, their enviroment is rather stable.

This- the enviromental and regenerating difficulty of robots, and exhousted distribution of any possible vital resource upon all robots, would perhaps couse them very hostile towards any source that may benefit this intense issue of theirs. But rather than that, they should yield towards becoming organic creatures the most, since they would want the organic creature's system of regeneration and circular enviroment. They would speculate with samples of Fungus, Florus and Faunus, and they would be respected by organic creatures since they would be considered by them living rather than acting. The player might aid robots, since they would realy be souls/living creations, since this is the basic uncatchable base in universe, not the physical matter.

What comes to my mind is some sort of robot queen standing half deep in a pool of red blood during load screen.

And this is what I call "player raping story that you cannot aford to screw up on him and force bad" (I did not finish Risen 1 game since I was supposed to keep the poor Titan imprisoned, I had the same intensions as inquisitor Medoza that I had to slay... also, in Risen 2, my hero, when his ship got stolen by betrayer, he said "My ship, My crew, My Patty", and I hated Patty and I was in love with Chani, I was always taking her to accompany me, and when a guy come to me saying "Leave Chani alone" and my stupid hero responded without choice of mine "Calm down, Chani is not my type", I felt like crashing the screen)

The robots were created by a higher civilization as a terraforming tool.

They terraform all the planets they encounter to the living conditions of their creators, which happen to be hellish to you.

They are tasked to terraform all the planets they see, and you are like a pest to their creators, so any obstruction from you part, such as living in the planet they are going to terraform, is met with violence.

There robots look like tools and construction machiery, because thats what they are. They dont have humanoid shapes, most of them look like vehicles. Also, they dont have weapons, they attack you with powerful tools (their creators are so powerful that just their tools are about as much powerful as your weapons of war).

I don't play MMOs because I would become addicted

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement