Announcement: Now earn Medals when you complete a Challenge!

Started by
9 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 6 years, 4 months ago

Quick announcement: We'll now add medals to your profile to signify that you completed a GameDev Challenge (a couple members already have). You can see the full medal list under the Members -> Trophies & Medals menu, earned medals show in your profile panel, and they show in your profile.

Of course we'll continue to add new trophies and medals over time.

We are also creating a better system to showcase your challenge submissions. More to come on that soon.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement

Why, that come surprisingly, niiice :)

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Love the addition to the user's profile, very nice!

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Wanting to clarify, the medals are only for partaking in the challenge during its allotted time frame and not for those whom stumble upon the site and decide to do late submissions to the challenges?

3 hours ago, BHXSpecter said:

Wanting to clarify, the medals are only for partaking in the challenge during its allotted time frame and not for those whom stumble upon the site and decide to do late submissions to the challenges?

Correct. Could change in the future (especially when we get a better submission process), but right now they are intended to be awarded during the allotted time.

Admin for GameDev.net.

30 minutes ago, khawk said:

Correct. Could change in the future (especially when we get a better submission process), but right now they are intended to be awarded during the allotted time.

Okay, I know some sites will do a participation patch (like the ones for this challenge and the arena one), but also have a slightly modified one for at least attempting to do them after the end date of challenges; a kind of 'reward' for trying it and completing it. Which was why I wanted to get it clarified. Thank you.

16 hours ago, BHXSpecter said:

Okay, I know some sites will do a participation patch (like the ones for this challenge and the arena one), but also have a slightly modified one for at least attempting to do them after the end date of challenges; a kind of 'reward' for trying it and completing it. Which was why I wanted to get it clarified. Thank you.

Understood. I'm not opposed to making that change and see the value in making the awards always available.

Admin for GameDev.net.

22 hours ago, khawk said:

Understood. I'm not opposed to making that change and see the value in making the awards always available.

What I was thinking, and I'm restating it because after re-reading it I feel I did a poor explanation. In the Missile command you have the animated missile. If you did the above method, I was thinking use one color scheme on the missile (current one) for those whom complete the challenge during the allotted time, but have the same missile with a different color scheme for those whom do it after the the month it was set so there is still incentive for beginners to try and do the challenges. I hope to do this month's challenge, but not sure due to an erratic sleep schedule I have lately. Also hoping to try and make something for the previous challenges.

I'm two for three at the moment and also hope to revisit the first I missed. Can most definitely see value in just banging out the challenge then tossing after pulling code that worked well and restarting. I'm the middle ground framework case (MonoGame) but can also see benefit with engine usage (Unity and such) applying the fast and forget iteration process.

Shooting for a large hord of glittery goodness.

Well I don't know if there's an actual difference between Trophies and Medals. But IF there is, then I'd give Trophies to people who actually participated during the contest and medals to people who participated after the contest.

With that said, at least for the first 12 to 18 months, only let people who actually participate during the contest get a medal or trophy.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement