Text-Based RPG

Started by
7 comments, last by Rutin 5 years, 11 months ago

Hi, guys. I want to make an RPG text-based/interactive fiction game and I'm not that knowledgeable about this since I'm fairly new to making games. I haven't seen any thing like it yet either, so I wondered if making such a game is even possible. I've tinkered a bit with RPG Maker MV, but honestly I don't even know what engine I'm going to use. I already have a concept for my game, but I just need some advice on the matter.

Hope for your help. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Advertisement
30 minutes ago, Mae Garcia said:

I want to make an RPG text-based/interactive fiction game... I haven't seen any thing like it yet either

Then googling it will provide you with lots of examples.

Visual novels is the evolved form of Text based games so searching "RPG Visual novels" will also provide good ones. WARNING! Most of the RPG Visual novel scene is covered by adult games, there is lots of reasons for this but mostly because a normal RPG Visual novel will go unnoticed by the mainstream of players.

Since Zork there has been many attempts at RPG text adventures and a lot of indie developers start with these as they are the easiest to make.

So what is it you are trying to make, a old school text adventure:

zork_i.jpg

Or a more modern RPG visual novel:

6289845260_a9b536d238.jpg

The engine to use will depend on focus, how much of a RPG vs how much of a Text/Visual novel etc.

So what is it you are looking to do?

1 hour ago, Mae Garcia said:

Hi, guys. I want to make an RPG text-based/interactive fiction game and I'm not that knowledgeable about this since I'm fairly new to making games. I haven't seen any thing like it yet either, so I wondered if making such a game is even possible. I've tinkered a bit with RPG Maker MV, but honestly I don't even know what engine I'm going to use. I already have a concept for my game, but I just need some advice on the matter.

Hope for your help. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

There are endless ways to make a text rpg. You could even make it using HTML and Javascript, then add in an online component later on with PHP/SQL if you wanted. You can also use pretty much any programming language that allows console printing, and drawing to the screen directly.

If you're looking at making a more visual text rpg like @Scouting Ninja posted here:

6289845260_a9b536d238.jpg

You can do this with many programs, even Game Make Studio. All you have to do is have one layer for images, and the second layer for printing your text with (x) font. Then you'll need a way to send text input.

Majority of the work will be in creating an immersive story and visuals (if you're going with a visual text rpg), not the programming part.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Hey, @Scouting Ninja and @Rutin! Thanks for replying. I was actually hoping that the game would be an old school text adventure while having the RPG part mostly for visuals. Basically like a visual novel, except you get to have the element of text commands and stuff instead of the normal 'move around and interact'. I can already imagine the difficulty of it honestly, but it's worth a try! Hope any of this made sense.

Kinda like this one! Except I don't know where to begin to make this. :/

6 minutes ago, Mae Garcia said:

Hey, @Scouting Ninja and @Rutin! Thanks for replying. I was actually hoping that the game would be an old school text adventure while having the RPG part mostly for visuals. Basically like a visual novel, except you get to have the element of text commands and stuff instead of the normal 'move around and interact'. I can already imagine the difficulty of it honestly, but it's worth a try! Hope any of this made sense.

It's really not that difficult if you use a good tool. :) I'm not sure if Quest has visual options, but check it out.

http://textadventures.co.uk/quest

I wish you the best in creating your text game.

EDIT: Sorry I cannot comment on RPG Maker as I've never used that tool before.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Oh, thanks! This is pretty neat. I think I'll consider it as well. I'll do some more research as well. Thanks again! :)

30 minutes ago, Mae Garcia said:

Oh, thanks! This is pretty neat. I think I'll consider it as well. I'll do some more research as well. Thanks again! :)

No problem! Enjoy! :) 

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement