How can i create a Fighting Game?

Started by
7 comments, last by Rutin 5 years, 2 months ago

Hey, i'm new to the game developing, i have this idea of a basic fighting game, looking for a platform or an application where i can create this. The idea of the game is simple, but i don't know where can i develop this game.

The game would be a 1vs1, 2vs2 or 3vs3. Every character will have its own HP stat, Movement Speed stat and Jump Speed stat, the game is based on turns, so if it is your turn you can move freely depending on your movement speed and jump speed, and you can also use 4 attacks per turn. 

The game is based on squares, like playing chess, the range of the attacks is calculated by squares and the movement speed of the characters is calculated by squares which can be horizontal, vertical or diagonal depending on the character. For example this is an idea of what movement speed should be like, if player 1 has 5 speed points and player 2 has 6 speed points. Jump Speed works as an additional movement speed, but you can use specific attacks while jumping. If you want to face another direction you will lose 1 movement speed point.

467384712_Capturadepantalla2019-02-19ala(s)16_13_10.thumb.png.80ad87a1c9b4bfa02d6328cef94b0668.png1129894254_Capturadepantalla2019-02-19ala(s)16_18_23.thumb.png.0b1ffa2e9c93479e71cb86a523a86603.png544707286_Capturadepantalla2019-02-19ala(s)16_19_11.thumb.png.e175091e949d59af5df415fe538845bb.png

Now with the movement speed explained, i will explain how attacks will work. Attacks are also based on squares, the range of the attack to be precise. Every character will have 5 types of attacks, which are, Charged Attacks, Special Attacks, Tilt Attacks, Aerial Attacks and Grab Attacks. Each attack will have its own range, damage, knockback and launch direction. If the opponent has 10 HP and your attack has 3 damage points, your opponent will lose 3 of its HP, and the game won't finish untill the opponent loses all of its HP.

Charged Attacks are the strongest attacks, usually they have an average or high knockback. Special Attacks have neutral damage, and can also include movement speed while using them. Tilt Attacks are weak attacks that usually have low knockback so you can combo on them if you are close to the opponent. Aerial Attacks have neutral damage, and can only be used while performing a jump. And finally Grab Attacks, drags your opponent in front o you and it will perform an attack, you can add extra damage to your Grab Attacks, but you will lose your attack turns.

This is the list of attacks available per category:

- Charged Attacks: Forward Charged Attack, Up Charged Attack, Down Charged Attack.

- Special Attacks: Forward Special Attack, Up Special Attack, Down Special Attack.

- Tilt Attacks: Forward Tilt Attack, Back Tilt Attack, Neutral Tilt Attack, Up Tilt Attack, Down Tilt Attack.

- Aerial Attacks: Forward Aerial Attack, Back Aerial Attack, Neutral Aerial Attack, Up Aerial Attack, Down Aerial Attack.

- Grab Attacks: Forward Grab Attack, Back Grab Attack, Up Grab Attack, Down Grab Attack.

Each of this attacks will be different on each character. If your opponent is behind you and you dont have any movement speed to change your position, you can perform a Back Attack, because the hitbox usually is behind you. Up Attacks usually launches the opponent vertically, if the Up Attack with vertical launch has low knockback, you can combo with other moves without moving, but if the Up Attack has high knockback, the opponent can perform an air dodge, to any direction, but vertical launching moves with high knockback can early K.O the opponent even if the opponent hasnt lost all of its HP.

There are different types of hit boxes, each of them works differently.

- Hit Box: Causes damage.

- Additional Hit Box: Causes additional damage. (Only certain attacks have additional hit boxes)

- Character Hit Box: Causes damage also in the player box.

-  Air Hit Box: Causes damage only when your opponent is in the air.

- Alternate Hit Box: Causes damage if you choose to. (Only certain attack can have alternative hit boxes, like blasting attacks)

- Trip Box: The squares your character is moving while performing an attack.

- Drag Trip Box: The same as Trip Box but it drags your opponent with you while you are using the attack.

- Alternate Trip Box: The squares your character will move if you choose to.

- Grab Box: The range of the grab, to perform a Grab Attacks, works almost like a Hit Box. (But will have a special animation)

This is the idea of how the hit box will work, of two different attacks. In which the Player 1 uses an attack with 2x6 squares hit box and Player 2 uses an attack with 1x4 squares hit box.

1292258393_Capturadepantalla2019-02-19ala(s)16_50_52.thumb.png.664d4ca6f942325b502a2ca054a4ae0e.png

This is an example of Player 1 using a Charged Attack with 2x6 squares hitbox on Player 2 that has 5 knockback squares.

570641996_Capturadepantalla2019-02-19ala(s)16_56_40.thumb.png.b6c3fa0d102083c7b9de2048d4f0f098.png

This is an example of Player 1 using an Special Attack on Player 2, that has a Trip Box and a 1x6 square hitbox that has 4 knockback squares.

1544676082_Capturadepantalla2019-02-19ala(s)17_15_34.thumb.png.0b5e99b449378c11c8e1b03c79204067.png

This is an example of Player 1 using an Special Attack on Player 2, that has a Dragging Trip Box and a 1x6 square hitbox that has 4 knockback squares.

514579872_Capturadepantalla2019-02-19ala(s)17_19_20.thumb.png.e82e409c2f1af4793d091fd1ddac23e7.png

This is an example of Player 1 using an Up Tilt Attack on Player 2, that has a 1x1 hitbox with very low knockback, and causes a vertical launch to the opponent.

2139799210_Capturadepantalla2019-02-19ala(s)17_24_34.thumb.png.ac56d9d6d98e5d9c6f59987a54ef0064.png

This is an example of Player 1 using an Up Tilt Attack on Player 2, that has a 1x1 hitbox with high knockback, and causes a vertical launch to the opponent. But the high knockback let the opponent to air dodge to the right. (Air dodge has 3 movement squares) (If Player 2 had less than the half of its HP it would instanlty K.O it)

190862907_Capturadepantalla2019-02-19ala(s)17_26_17.thumb.png.dcc9fe2d12b2656b44ff64b09c4227c8.png

This is an example of Player 1 using a Back Grab on Player 2, with a 1x2 Grab Box and 7 knockback squares.

889340868_Capturadepantalla2019-02-19ala(s)17_34_08.thumb.png.1028086c42df8175575cadd554df84c2.png

This is an example of Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, that's similar of what i plan the game to look like.

1059971303_ProyectSS-FinalFantasy.thumb.jpg.eb7969110935296e70dc8ff6961df287.jpg

But with a more cartoon look like this, it's just an idea. I accept suggestions.

1739745036_Example1.jpg.343c21e2d3ac35d424a9f01d1c5af7a2.jpg

Thanks for reading my post, that's the basic idea of the game, i tried to be very simple with the explanation, but if someone its interested on more details i can give them by message. Which platform i can use to develop this game, that works with squares, and damage, HP, attacks, etc.

Advertisement

I think you're asking "what engine should I use," which is not a Writing question. Moving to appropriate forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

5 minutes ago, Tom Sloper said:

I think you're asking "what engine should I use," which is not a Writing question. Moving to appropriate forum.

where can i find the link to that forum?

Have you looked into Unity or Unreal?

https://unity3d.com/

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/what-is-unreal-engine-4

Programmer and 3D Artist

6 minutes ago, Rutin said:

I've looked at various engines but i can't find one that works like this, bc the game is based on a squared floor, every hitbox and character position is based on squares. The idea is to play in a 40x40 squares stage, so characters can freely move, not looking for specific hitboxes, just a general square hitbox, so if the player is standing on a certain square, the opponent can make an attack that approaches the square where the other player is standing, and it will hurt it and push it to another square.depending on the knockback. Im new to the game dev, i barely know how can i do it and which tools i need to animate, its the first game i'm going to make. Do you know any engine that can work? Thanks.

You can do this in both of those engines, you just have to program the features in. Or are you looking for something that does this for you?

Programmer and 3D Artist

1 minute ago, Rutin said:

You can do this in both of those engines, you just have to program the features in. Or are you looking for something is does this for you?

Yes i'm looking for something predetermined, but if there isn't something like that, i guess i can try to program the features but you know how to program them? Because i just have the idea, and a few characters i made but just made them in excel, i used the squares to simulate the hitboxes. Which engine its better, unreal or unity?

I noticed you edited your other post so I'll address this part first:

1 hour ago, Cool Racoon said:

Im new to the game dev, i barely know how can i do it and which tools i need to animate, its the first game i'm going to make. Do you know any engine that can work? Thanks.

Put this project on the back burner for now and look at it in future. If you're brand new to game development you need to build up experience and acquire new skills first.

38 minutes ago, Cool Racoon said:

Yes i'm looking for something predetermined, but if there isn't something like that, i guess i can try to program the features but you know how to program them? Because i just have the idea, and a few characters i made but just made them in excel, i used the squares to simulate the hitboxes. Which engine its better, unreal or unity?

I cannot answer if people have created anything pre-done for such a system as I code things from the ground up as my games require. If you're brand new then I'm going to suggest C# with Unity to start, otherwise you can look into Unreal but don't touch C++, work with Blueprints if you really want to use Unreal. Sometimes you just gotta try things out and see how you like them. The problem is at your level you're going to be confused if you have no experience no matter if you do C# and Unity, or Blueprints with Unreal. Pick one, get some tutorials and start making basic games like Pong, a Maze Game, Checkers, ect... You'll learn a lot by doing, oh and forget about online multiplayer for awhile.

I've used both Engines and I cannot say which is better (there are pros and cons to both - but I prefer Unreal over Unity as a preference. Plus I like using C++. The question is which is better for 'you'. I would still suggest Unity due to C# being a good entry into programming.

Pick up Visual Studio Community Edition:

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/community/

Get a good book on C# to learn general programming:

https://www.amazon.com/C-7-0-Nutshell-Definitive-Reference/dp/1491987650

Use MSDN for more help with C#:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/programming-guide/

Start coding with the console first to learn the basics of the language, then jump into Unity and follow along with their tutorials.

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials

There are a lot of 'Asset Store' things you can get to help support your development, but I would still suggest you learn how to do as much as possible.

I suggest buying a course as well:

Complete C# Unity Developer 2D: Learn to Code Making Games

https://www.udemy.com/share/1000PUB0YfdVhURXw=/

and

Complete C# Unity Developer 3D: Learn to Code Making Games

https://www.udemy.com/share/1000PKB0YfdVhURXw=/

You can find more on Udemy: https://www.udemy.com/courses/search/?src=ukw&q=unity

The most important thing above all at this stage is to pick something, and don't jump around from engine to engine or language to language. Stick with Unity for example, and make it work. Learn C# the best you can, learn the engine, and make a lot of small games to try out different concepts. All of this is transferable later on if you want to try out different engines and languages.

Don't forget to post if you have any problems with your code so we can help you out.

If this isn't something you want to do right now, you'll have to find an engine that caters to your needs, or maybe look into game modding as another option, but I cannot comment on that.

The above assumes you want to program, otherwise if you're just looking at designing then you'll need to gather up a team. https://www.gamedev.net/forums/forum/29-hobby-project-classifieds/

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement