Creating graphics and sprite sheets

Started by
4 comments, last by darrin k 4 years, 4 months ago

I searched online for tennis graphics and I see sprite sheets for Nintendo's Tennis Video game. How could I create these types of graphics on my own? The character sprites are created via sprite sheets using GIMP or something else? How would the tennis court be created? The tennis court for the Nintendo's tennis looks like a 2.5D perspective to create depth in the court as well. I am very new to creating 2-D graphics so I would like to know on how to create my own using an easy to use software package. I appreciate any help from the community. I put the image here just as an example.

Advertisement
darrin k said:
How could I create these types of graphics on my own? The character sprites are created via sprite sheets using GIMP or something else?

Yes, they can be created using any drawing program you want. Most major drawing tools --- including GIMP and Photoshop -- have tools to help with sprite sheets. There are many plugins out there for animation that will flip through images as layers, and split the layers out into a sprite sheet.

darrin k said:
I would like to know on how to create my own using an easy to use software package.

Are you asking about how to draw an animation? Or asking about how to use a package? Or asking about what package to use?

Many engines and tools have support for sprite sheets. Basically every large-scale tool that has 2D support will support them, and many that only have minimal support for 2D UI will also support them. You give the sprite sheet image, some data about where the sprites are located and what frames they represent, and you specify when and where you want them drawn. Many libraries are quite easy to use after giving them that data.

Thanks for the reply! I wanted to be able to draw the court out first then work on the sprites. So, would this be constructed using tiles such as with photoshop or pyxel etc. I am not sure which would be the best software package to use? I figured there would be youtube video for how to use a specific software package.

darrin k said:
I am not sure which would be the best software package to use?

Use the one you have on your computer. If you don't own one, GIMP is free and more than capable of the task.

darrin k said:
I figured there would be youtube video for how to use a specific software package.

Yes, many thousand of them.

Try something, experiment, and figure it out. If you have tried a few things and get stuck in a specific spot, we can help with those specific questions. But asking “what's the best tool?” and “where do I find videos on how to make art?" won't get you very far.

@undefined

thank you, I will check both resources !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement