Vision Based Puzzles

Started by
1 comment, last by Lendrigan Games 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm starting a project that I want the core mechanic to be puzzles involving vision/perceptions. In the game you play a young boy with glasses exploring his grandparent's house. I want his glasses to be very significant, and plan on incorporating different vision modes to help with exploration. This includes ideas such as attaching a flashlight to his glasses to help explore dark areas of the house. I have some ideas like using UV lights, telescopes, and maybe even an imagination type glasses where he can see his imaginary friend, and using them would help him explore an area that he is too afraid to enter by himself.

Anyway, what I am asking is…does anyone have any ideas regarding vision based puzzles? I'm very open to input on how I could have fun playing with vision based mechanics. They do not have to be all related to the glasses, perhaps a mirror puzzle, but I would like them to be vision related. Any ideas are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Great ideas but no talent. *sigh*

Advertisement

I can't help but think of vision puzzles as “find the thing,” and, for that reason, I personally hesitate to put faith in doing that multiple times in a row. The only vision puzzles that come to my mind are the perspective puzzles in Senua's Sacrifice, where looking at parts of the environment from specific perspectives yields runic imagery.
For multiple vision types as a mechanic, though, having multiple tools lends itself well to metroidvanias, and finding new ways to interact with the world (via different lenses) organically gives the player something to solve and in which to find a reward. The more you ask,"what would the player see through [the telescope, uv glasses, imagination glasses, etc]," the more you'll give the player to see.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement