Can a game dev use 3d point clouds from a laserscanner?

Started by
3 comments, last by Hodgman 4 years, 4 months ago

Hello all.

I've been thinking about game developing latley and really as a gamer myself i wanted to see if there's anything from my trait that could be used in game design.

So here's a short brief off who i am and what i do. And if anyone gets a spiraling idea or see the potential, or maybe its allready used by you all then please let me know.

My name is Robin and i live in a Town called Gothenburg in Sweden. I am a geodetical engineer aka a land surveyor.

In my everyday job i work at Construction sites, parks, roads and what not trying to either show the workers what they are supposed to build and where through my Equipment. Or i measure actual Buildings and land to give the architecths a starting Point, somewhere to sketch theyr new houses on.

This leads me into my favourite instrument, my 3d laser scanner. I posess an A grade laser scanner that i can collect images and 3d laserscanned data to recreate houses and objects in a 3d Point cloud. With this i makes 3d models off anything and it's here where i see a potential in the game design.

If anyone wants to know more or have some intresting know how in this field. please leave a comment and i can go into more detail off what i can provide.

Thank you for reading

Advertisement

I am considering making my own, thus i dont know how can you mesaure lets say a house with that i assume you input some reference point at which you are scanning object, then go to another angle and repeat and then let the scanner work for you, however the density of the point cloud is something that bothers me. There is way too much data, to use. I think making your own software that scans with this laser and creates a usable mid/low poly model would be great, but for now i am making other things so i do not bother but you could at least point how do you scan something, lets say a chair for example.

Kickini said:
i can collect images and 3d laserscanned data to recreate houses and objects in a 3d Point cloud. With this i makes 3d models off anything and it's here where i see a potential in the game design.

Reasonable question. Moving thread to a more appropriate forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Kickini said:

Can a game dev use 3d point clouds from a laserscanner?

Yep, this is becoming more and more common these days. I worked on a project in the 00's that had some laser scanned source assets, and that was mind blowing at the time, but these days even indies are starting to use this tech!

Both photogrammetry and laser scanning are part of the AAA art production pipeline these days – you can actually feed mixed data from both sources at the same time into programs such as RealityCapture to produce very detailed models.

Unity released a very detailed document on a photogrammetry workflow a few years back, here: https://unity3d.com/files/solutions/photogrammetry/Unity-Photogrammetry-Workflow_2017-07_v2.pdf
It's describing photogrammetry, but a large part of it is still 100% applicable for laser scans too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement