Map location/activites in a rpg?

Started by
10 comments, last by DoomOperator 4 years, 3 months ago

As i said it's a fuse of Battle brothers and Darkest dungeons, do you know these game? It's turn-based, tactical fights using a group of heroes. There is abilities and basic attacks, and enemies also has similar functionality.

This thread is to flesh out the things the party of heroes can do while travelling on the map (just like in Battle Brothers or in a way Mount&Blade). What can they visit, discover, be exposed to. What challanges, what way to earn resources?

There is gold (buying supplies, items, new recruits), food (drained over time) and medicine (for healing while camping). As well as equipment and crafting (for now only herbs→potions are planned).

Hunting → food + trade goods such as pelts/fur
Herbalism → herbs (for making potions)
Mining → trade goods such as gems, ore. Maybe gems can be “socketed” into items for bonuses (like in diablo). Not sure if this is needed though.

So mostly im looking for stuff to do on the map (such as a witch that sells stuff). Can be permanent locations or one-time visit (or events such as something just popping up that the player needs to make a choice about).

I like it to be similar to pen and paper RPGs where random stuff can occur during travel, so any good collection of those would help me move forward ?

Advertisement

@suliman That gives me a better picture, and no i don't know these games. One idea is you can have random battles or encounters between missions. Did you ever play Final Fantasy 8? When you would travel between missions you could explore an open world and by walking around the map and going off road you were more likely to encounter an enemy which would change it from a top down game to it's regular battle style. Watch from 26:09-26:45 you'll see what i mean about random encounters. But also the other thing this game had WHICH I LOVED! was when you were in free roam you could find “Optional Bosses” Sometimes these bosses were really really hard but very rewarding to defeat, and after defeating the boss you would then own that boss and be able to summon them latter in battle for attacks. In this game they are called GF “Guardian Force”. Everytime you got into a battle you would get some sort of item that you could sell, or use to upgrade your character/s.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement