Am I still a dev if I make games on scratch?

Started by
6 comments, last by farmoklive 3 years, 11 months ago

I make a lot of games, I like to think of myself as a game developer but the thing is I make games of scratch. Even though I do can I still call myself a game dev? Anyways I make a lot of games on scratch but here is my most recent and my most best game https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/368327071/

Advertisement

In the early years of Nintendo when they developed the LCD hand held games, the engineers were still ‘game developers’ ?

Yes, you are. ?

Don't listen to gatekeepers who think Scratch (or any other tool or language) aren't “good enough", or aren't “real development”.

Do you develop games? Then you're a game developer.

- Jason Astle-Adams

If you're making games, you're a game developer. Who cares what tools you use? Would someone who writes novels with a computer not be a writer as opposed to someone who writes with a pen? The tools you use are meaningless. They are just that: tools.

Certain tools can be more effective and efficient than other tools. But that has no bearing or impact on what you are doing, which is building games. So therefore, you are a game developer. Use whatever's comfortable and build some awesome stuff man. :D

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Came home from work last night to find my kids created a maze out of colorized Paw Patrol Jenga blocks and some magnet things and were using a dice to run their Lego characters through the maze to fight these pig toys they picked up from the dentist this morning. Right then I thought they were great little game developers and was very proud of them.

I was quite curious to watch how the game worked but next thing I knew there was a heated discussion about a newly proposed rule about needing to rescue your character if you roll the same color twice on the dice. We had a long talk about collaboration, play testing, and making sure that your game is winnable.

The game as it was probably won't ever sell. The premise seems pretty sound but the marketing looks like it'd be tricky not to mention the licensing issues. But I would call them game developers just the same. They're just not businessmen. Yet.

My 2 cents: Who's asking?

I've found that the title of ‘game developer’ can mean different things to different people.

To some a game developer is anyone involved in the industry in any way, whether they are a programmer, artist, sound engineer, quality assurance or marketing.
Some think ‘game developer’ is synonyms to programmer or designer.
A publisher looking for a game developer is usually looking for a person or group that can deliver a game they can promote.

These are just a few examples off the top of my head, just to show how murky it can be, so consider the context when asked whether you are a game developer or not.

As above, I believe you're a developer if you create games, regardless of your chosen toolset - however, if you're feeling limited by Scratch and want to try alternatives, but don't feel up to the challenge of text-based programming, you might be comfortable with something like Stencyl, Game Maker, Construct, or other visual-based editors, some of which have different capabilities and allow things like publishing stand-alone executable or mobile games that you may find difficult or impossible with Scratch.

If you're happy with Scratch, keep it up - just wanted to make you aware that there are similar alternatives if you're interested. ?

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement