Skill Trees

Started by
6 comments, last by Rustummer2186 4 years, 2 months ago

I’m designing a survival game and I’m looking for help to finish up my Skill Trees. Im struggling with ideas. There are three trees; 1 Combat (hand to hand combat, health, stamina during combat, distractions, and assassinations) 2 Survival (guns, food drink, charisma, bombs, how radiation effects the player, harvesting, and fishing) 3 Agility (speed, stamina, swimming).

So its a post apocalyptic zombie game online setting with the full United States to explore. You can build a house or claim one, you can use almost anything, hunting for food and scavenging for resources is key to survival.

Advertisement

Rustummer2186 said:
I’m designing a survival game and I’m looking for help to finish up my Skill Trees. Im struggling with ideas. There are three trees; 1 Combat (hand to hand combat, health, stamina during combat, distractions, and assassinations) 2 Survival (guns, food drink, charisma, bombs, how radiation effects the player, harvesting, and fishing) 3 Agility (speed, stamina, swimming)

@rustummer2186 I presume you have some inspiration from rust. It depends what kind of survival game but you could have things like, Heat and cold weather conditions which would mean you could add another skill to your skill tree called “Climate tolerance” which changes the speed at which heat or cold effects you. You could add another aspect to combat called “Guile” which allows you to do “Extra” things, could be like picking locks, sensing enemies from further away. Maybe even add a “stealth” or “Parkour” aspects to your skill tree. I personally always loved unlocking new skills that meant something more than a number increase. Like take “Speed” Speed could unlock “Climb” and “Swim” rather than increase “Speed by 10%” for example. It really depends what your looking for. In any case expanding your skill tree means you have to add more gameplay mechanics. “Crafting” could be on your skill tree, as Crafting is usually very important in a survival game.

Depending on how you implement eating, you could allow the user to gain “Ravenous Feast” think of it like a berserk er mode, but you are cramming those steaks into your mouth while running at 300% movement speed and swinging your weapon in a wild fury. Typically in survival games you eat to live and maintain hp. It would be interesting to see a character consume the food in an accelerated manner, they gain a huge bonus, but they consume food very quickly.

Hold on light, it is only gonna get brighter!

@doomoperator How is your survival game currently structured? I may be able to provide help closer to the direction you are trying to head.

Also you could have food become “All I need is… one bite…” making a normal piece of food provide extra bonuses, for example, instead of 10+ hp, you gain +20 hp.

Mother's cooking could be a cooking ability, that makes your character cry and go into a fury because the character misses his mother's cooking so much. Or maybe just a tearful/joyful sound effect with a modifier following would be cool. I see survival and I think berserk mode always, 0.0 I don't know why.

@undefined so its a post apocalyptic zombie game online setting with the full United States to explore. You can build a house or claim one, you can use almost anything, hunting for food and scavenging for resources is key to survival.

So its a post apocalyptic zombie game online setting with the full United States to explore. You can build a house or claim one, you can use almost anything, hunting for food and scavenging for resources is key to survival.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement