Thinking of Designing a Game for Dissertation - Need Advice

Started by
3 comments, last by Tom Sloper 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm currently writing my final year university dissertation. My topic is to do with urban resilience, which basically means the ability of cities and towns to recover/bounce back after disasters and withstand chronic stresses on the system.

As part of the dissertation I need to do something which will increase the impact my project has on society, so to do this I'd like to design a game. I ran the idea passed my supervisor and he seems very keen on the idea. I had initially planned to design a board game, but I don't think I'd be able to make it work.

So my idea is this:
-A game in which players design a city and make decisions which will either increase or decrease the resilience of their city to a specific threat. Ideally some of these decisions will increase/decrease resilience immediately, whilst others can impact a player gradually throughout the game.

-Players should try to improve the resilience of their city to all types of threat(e.g. economic, natural, political etc.). This is because in the real world, focusing on one threat building resilience to one threat could leave you vulnerable to another.

-There would be a knock-out element. Perhaps a massive threat could arise randomly, players with the more resilient cities will survive it but be weakened, players with the least resilient cities will be knocked out of the game.

-The resilience aspect will be numerical and measured by a methodology I hope to develop as part of the dissertation.

I envisage a city-building type game. Collaboration would be optional. Players can choose to work together to improve all of their cities and overcome obstacles, but players wouldn't be able to sabotage the progress of other players. The game would be won by the player with the most resilient city, although I haven't yet thought about when the game would end. I was thinking it could be a last-player standing type thing, but that could mean the game takes too long to play.

It would mainly be an educational game for all age groups, but of course I'd hope it could be played for fun too.

I have absolutely no experience in designing games, but I think I'd be able to learn quickly. I have 3 months to do it, would this be feasible? I'm aiming to create quite a simple game, something that is playable, basic graphics and nothing too fancy.

At the moment this is not much more than just an idea. I'm hoping to get some advice on how I would actually go about doing this. Are there any programmes I can use that will help me? Is there a game engine that is available to use?

I'm a complete newbie so any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'll update this post with more ideas as they come to me because I think it'll help me with this process.

Also, if anybody knows of a game like this that is already in existence please let me know. From my research I haven't found anything quite like it, but I wouldn't want to breach any copyrights or anything.

Thanks

Advertisement

Liam123 said:
I have absolutely no experience in designing games, but I think I'd be able to learn quickly. I have 3 months to do it, would this be feasible?

A design can be written in 3 months, yes. You aren't using the word “design” to mean “programming,” are you? Because 3 months is a very short time to both design and program a social game, if you have not programmed before. Last year, my student modded Neverwinter Nights for his senior thesis in one semester, but he was minoring in Video Game Design & Management and had already been modding, and building games in GameMaker and Unity, for 5 years or more.

Liam123 said:
if anybody knows of a game like this that is already in existence please let me know. From my research I haven't found anything quite like it, but I wouldn't want to breach any copyrights or anything.

Have you checked http://www.gamesforchange.org/? A lot of city/social impact games have been made. But I wouldn't worry, unless your professor might find that you totally ripped off an existing city/social impact game. You should keep researching similar games, because you can get good ideas that way.

Liam123 said:
I'm aiming to create quite a simple game, something that is playable, basic graphics and nothing too fancy.

If you haven't done it before, you should instead design and prototype a paper game (a card game or a board game). Much more doable in one semester.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper Thanks for your reply.

I'm meaning purely design, I'm sorry for the confusion. I don't have the skills to programme a game, although I wish I could learn.

Thanks for the link, I had never heard of that website before. I had a look and didn't see any games like the one I have in mind, but playing a few of the similar-themed games was really beneficial.

I'm currently working on a paper game but it isn't going too well at the moment. I had imagined the game to be played as a video game, so I'm struggling to adapt it to work on paper.

Liam123 said:
I'm struggling to adapt it to work on paper.

Keep at it. Good luck with your dissertation.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement