Game Difficulties - OK to change "deep" control-variables?

Started by
3 comments, last by Domain314 3 years, 10 months ago

Hello fellow GameDevs!

This is my very first post here, and i'm sorry, if i posted something wrong.

Prolog:
I made a plattformer with only jumping/climbing challenges and without any evil NPCs that could kill the Player. Just jumping around.
My 2 younger Brothers tried it yesterday and i observed, that this game is a bit harder for new Players, than i thought. Now i'm thinking about setting different difficulties (easy, medium, hard) or dynamic difficulty-change (change difficulty after 5-10deaths, changing back after level completed).

Question:
What do you think about slightly changing deep control variables, like jumpHeight/jumpDistance?
I fear that the controls could get “unauthentic” and confusing the players perception of the “feeling” from the controls.
I could not find anything on this kind of topic.

It would be very easy for me to implement this, but i dont want to destroy the players experience..

Sorry for my english und thanks in advance!

Dom

PS: many thanks for all the threads in this forum! they helped me a lot, in the past months! ?

Advertisement

For a platformer game, I would expect the jumps to be consistent regardless of difficulty. For difficulty I would expect things like duration of power ups, frequency of power ups, or amount of damage taken.

kseh said:

For a platformer game, I would expect the jumps to be consistent regardless of difficulty.

yep, that was exactly my thought and fear on this. Also thank you for pointing me in a more genuine way ?

@fleabay Great video and channel! Thank you very much! ?

The first ~10 Levels are pretty easy. But some of the 40 Levels spiked high in retries/deaths. I changed some “unfair” spots and also the order of some Levels for a better learning curve. ?

Thank you for the replies ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement