Lowpoly Tree

Started by
8 comments, last by Thereal 3 years, 7 months ago

Hi, im making trees since 20 day. The polycount for my trees is between 10k and 30k. When im watching the trees from rdr2 i would say they are all under 10k. Whats the max polycount u would accept in a triple a game title?

Advertisement

Depends. Is the tree the centerpiece of the level, or is it just another tree in a forest of millions? How close does the camera get to the tree? There really isn't a one-size-fits-all answer.

What could be the max poly, If we talk about a centralized tree which someone has to touch in a 3d game. Egoshooter?

What kind of tree is it exactly? So does the tree have leaves? Is it just a young small tree or a large sequoia tree? Also... do you use LOD's for your tree? In that case you can work with your Polycount or work at a distance with billboards etc. In principle, it is a question that is very difficult to answer because there is no correct answer. Also depends a lot on your surrounding complexity or architecture.

Thereal said:

What could be the max poly, If we talk about a centralized tree which someone has to touch in a 3d game. Egoshooter?

How big is the character? Is it a human and a familiar, full-grown tree from earth?

I haven't played any tree-touching games, but I would guess between 1 and infinity polygons, depending on how close the character gets to the tree.

Why don't you produce a number of examples and try for yourself? If you want tricks to make more of fewer polys, or get a general opinion on your examples, perhaps you could start a poll with an image as a reference?

All i would like to test is the performance. I cant see a tree in rdr2 with more than 10k poly imo. So theindustryx should know, thats not worth it to make more…right? Idk

Thereal said:

All i would like to test is the performance. I cant see a tree in rdr2 with more than 10k poly imo. So theindustryx should know, thats not worth it to make more…right? Idk

Do you have a high-poly asset on hand? Often, tree impostors can be used very close without looking off - but it depends on what kind of projections and movement you have going on.

It's also strange to talk about polys for a mesh as a fixed number - won't you be using any sort of LOD?

To reiterate the above; try with various tree polycounts. (It's also good to have something to sacrifice once you add the rest of the game.)

Doing a quick google on Red Dead Redemption: It uses Rockstar Advanced Game Engine which uses Speed Tree. If you look here: https://docs.speedtree.com/doku.php?id=simplify​ you see an example tree with multiple LOD's in the thousands to tens of thousands of triangles. For better advice, you'd need to know what engine you are using. Something like Unity or UE4 will have their own articles with estimations depending on how you do terrain. The Unity 2020 terrain system for example will let you just plug and play tree assets from the store with LOD systems in them. Its up to you to profile and decide what is acceptable. If you look at asset stores for the engines you will see what is typical.

Im using ue4 with speedtree. So lods is automatically until i turn off. Nvm i just keep it how they are and hope for the best

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement